PDA

View Full Version : Best day ( so far) with my 111 .270

Muddly
11-17-2012, 04:54 PM
I've been doing alot of work with her lately and as the barrel breaks in her accuracy has been steadily improving. Current round count is 780( for me, I bought the rifle very slightly used) The other day i went to the range with the load I plan on using for deer and bear this year. A Sierra 130 gr pro Hunter over a good stiff load of H4831SC in neck sized Rem cases lit with Rem 9 1/2 primers. OAL 3.265 ( she has a short throat) chrono'd velocity is a flat 3000 fps. This load usually hovers around the inch mark for 3 at 100, but this time the first 3 rounds were 1/2 inch the 2nd were 1/2 inch and the 3rd was also 1/2 inch. This is measured center to center. The rifle was an impulse by last year and the caliber was one I never gave a second's thought to.She's bone stock and mounts a Leupy 4x12. Its hard to ask for more...

stomp442
11-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Gotta love a Savage. Sounds like you got the kinks worked out good luck on the deer and bear. The Pro Hunter is a very good bullet I would also try the Game King though as it has a Boat tail and a better B.C. to deliver better down range performance. Also some of the smallest groups I have ever shot were with Sierra Game kings.

teebirdhyzer
11-18-2012, 12:34 PM
I love the .270....have a couple myself. Congrats and good shooting! I would say that after 780 rounds, you know that rifle like the back of your hand. Most people will NEVER shoot that many rounds through a centerfire rifle in their entire lives.

NOOTKA NICK
11-19-2012, 01:55 AM
I too shoot most of my game with a 111fcxp3 in .300win mag. put origional scope on an old savage/stevens 87D semi auto.22. where it belongs. Mounted a LEUPOLD vxII with leupold rings and bases. DARN FINE RIFLE.i too shoot game kings except for the 220gr.rn. hornady. Be hard pressed to fine a better rifle at twice the price. NN