PDA

View Full Version : Friendly debate

Pages : 1 [2]

rattfink
11-21-2012, 02:06 PM
I have bottled in vehicles on the road, and only then. I would never choose to when there is a perfectly good tree available.

rjtfroggy
11-22-2012, 08:04 AM
I used to go on a couple of archery sites(not for a few years now), but this exact same post would be just the opposite of what we have for results and those of us that pee in the woods would be "tar & feathered", and banned from the deer woods.
It seems in the expert views of archers you can bring bottled pee in and spread it around or drip it from a branch but your own must be carried out.I used to hunt with 2 such hunters, so 1 day when leaving our area there was a spot on the edge of a feild that always had a scrape,so for the heck of it I peed in it. The next morning we went to see what happened if anything,well it looked like a bulldozer hit it, dirt grass leaves thrown in every direction. Coinsidence I don't know but nobody will ever convince me that where or how you pee in the woods makes a difference.
I started hunting in 1970 have never carried out my pee and except for the last 5 years( did not hunt due to an injury) I have averaged at least 1 deer per year including the 5 years I had to take off.

Thank you all for keeping this civil and friendly, on the archery sites it goes viral.

trappst
11-23-2012, 02:36 AM
r3dn3ck - not to dispute your predator logic, but just this past Saturday the following happened. Sitting in one of my favorite spots for the second day of our (Illinois) first gun season. Had about seven does and yearlings in the area when two more does came running out of the draw to my south. I was all ready for a buck to show but instead a coyote came trotting out of the draw. As you can imagine, all the deer spooked.....coyote got a Accutip slug through the chest at about 50 yards.

Not long after the shot (less than an hour), I had a small buck and doe come through the area. Both got within feet of the dead coyote. They both got nervous but neither spooked or left. Actually, I watched the small buck breed the doe. After a few minutes of debating if I should fill a doe tag, a large buck appeared (grunting and thrashing brush). I ended up killing that buck at about 40 yards (about a 145" 10 point).

I don't buy the whole pee thing....have had deer smell the exact spot where I've relieved myself and kept right on doing their own thing. I do however buy scent control. I take a shower prior to every time I go out. I also use earth scent wafers and spray. Freshly tilled earth is a common thing around here that the deer are used to smelling.

As a bonus, my wife can't stand the fresh earth scent! :-)

r3dn3ck
11-23-2012, 11:02 AM
I don't see it as a dispute, a massively strange thing for deer to approach a coyote carcass but clearly the rut has reduced the thinking power of those deer. We're not allowed to play during the rut here in cali so I can't speak to the breeding instinct surpassing the survival instinct other than to say, I'd stop for a hummer even if there was a serial killer in the neighborhood. Might as well die sated.

back40
11-24-2012, 12:11 AM
Someone on another site peed in a scrape where he had a game camera . The very night he peed in the scrape a big buck came to the scrape and peed too.

If turkeys could smell we would never kill one.

teebirdhyzer
11-24-2012, 04:59 PM
I used to pee in a bottle, but no I just let it go. Can't tell a difference in the number of deer I see. I've got friends that make fake buck scrapes and wizz in them, then put a camera up. Sometimes within the day bucks are already checking the scrape and peeing in it. I don't think they can tell the difference between our pee and another animals. The most important thing is to hunt the wind. If you don't do that, nothing else matters....and if you get the wind right, nothing else matters! Except during the peak of the rut, and then all rules are off!