PDA

View Full Version : which do you like best as far as scope adjustment? for target work

acemisser
11-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Question is which do you like best 1/4 inch or 1/8 inch adjudtments...

I suppose this should be for target shooting and not hunting...

I have heard of some shooters even going with 1/2 minute clicks ??

Appreciate any of your comments on this...

JackinSD
11-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Can you narrow the question down? Distance? Type of target shooting? Competition or plinking? Ask a vague question get a vague answer.

acemisser
11-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Can you narrow the question down? Distance? Type of target shooting? Competition or plinking? Ask a vague question get a vague answer.

well it will be for f class shooting only at 250 -350 yards Sorry if I didn't ask a proper question ..lol

JackinSD
11-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Not so much about a question being proper or not. It is about being able to get an answer that has meaning.

Detritus
11-16-2012, 11:59 AM
well it will be for f class shooting only at 250 -350 yards Sorry if I didn't ask a proper question ..lol

in that case either one will likely work.

(note: my observations are all 2 years old minumum, and very localized) I've never had a problem with, and at this point prefer 1/4moa clicks.
I know a few guys that used to shoot the local F-class matches (up to 600) using scopes with 1/8moa equipped scopes, and most of them remained happy with it. I did tend to notice that the guys using the finer adjustments were the ones that seemed to want to avoid having to use holdover (on elevation) as much as possible, but that may be due to small sample size..

I never have understood, nor truthfully spoken with anyone who uses a scope with, 1/2moa adjustments. what's the advantage, more adjustment range? Do the coarser clicks allow the reticle and the riser or whatever it's called that carries the reticle, to stay closer to the center of the scope body somehow?
Having had the expereince of both running out of elevation, and having my reticle "come loose" from being too close to the end and stripping off the elevation screw, at a 600yrd match I can understand that reasoning.

helotaxi
11-16-2012, 12:41 PM
At very long range, 1/4 MOA often is too coarse to get a really precise zero on a small target. However, if you're dialing back and forth between a near zero and a distant one, 1/8 MOA clicks are a royal pain, not to mention that scopes with 1/8 MOA clicks often don't have much travel available in the first place and are designed to be zeroed and shot at a single distance.

1/2 MOA scopes that I've see are either low magnification where a very precise zero isn't required for the primary function of the scope since shots were being fired for effect (hunting or tactical) rather than score on a small bullseye or they were on long range hunting scopes where again 1/2 MOA is acceptable precision and the ability to quickly dial from a 100yd zero to a 700yd shot in as few clicks as possible is the primary concern.

JCalhoun
11-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Like taxi said,

If you are going to use the scope/rifle for a single distance then the 1/8moa will allow for finer tuning once the rifle is zeroed. If you will be dialing in different zeroes for different distances the 1/4moa is a little bit easier to count. This where the 1/2moa has a purpose especially at closer distances where you can hold over a bit to stay in the X ring.

acemisser
11-16-2012, 05:35 PM
appreciate all your replies....I have a cheap tasco on my rifle which has the 1/8
minute clicks..I noticed today in the cold temps. it did not want to move left or
right..I had to go past the point and bring it back into it again..I need a better
scope and I think I am going to be going with one with 1/4 chicks...I wish I had
more money to spend on it..Guess I will have to save up for one..But,what to get?
I have no clue.I think probably 500 yr will be the longets distance..Toad

JCalhoun
11-16-2012, 07:05 PM
I like the Leupold VX-2 6-18X40 AO Target.

Roger SS
11-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Not so much about a question being proper or not. It is about being able to get an answer that has meaning.

We thought that after you requested clarity in the question so that you could more clearly understand how to answer, that you would indeed provide a more focused answer. You didn't even bother to answer. What happened?

JackinSD
12-01-2012, 02:02 AM
We thought that after you requested clarity in the question so that you could more clearly understand how to answer, that you would indeed provide a more focused answer. You didn't even bother to answer. What happened?

Roger,

Quite honestly, I had no intention of answering his question.
If you knew the background you wouldn't have even asked.