PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Stevens 235 Hammer double gun SxS

ctrout
12-31-2009, 09:48 PM
My local pawn shop couldn't find enough info on this gun to know what to give for it on a pawn. They ended up pawning it for $45 I think they said. They tried to call me to see if I could help estimate the value for them but I was out of town for the holidays. Anyway, if the guy doesn't get it out of pawn in time, they said that they will call me. Since I know what they gave for it, I can probably get it for $100 or maybe a hair less. I haven't seen it yet so I don't know it's condition. If it turns out to be a restorable shooter, what do you think? Is it a decent gun? Might be nice to bring out once a year or something like for the pheasant opener maybe? I really want a Fox Sterly or mabe an A grade but I can't afford one right now. Maybe this would be a good way to satiate my desire and give me a project to work on since all of my current projects are winding down. Input?

Mad Dog
01-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Generally the 235's only run for around $200 +- up around here anyways so look hard at the condition of the gun, if it's pretty beat I'd wait for something better.

slumlord44
01-01-2010, 05:41 PM
In my opinion condition is everything on these. I looked for years before I found one in good condition. 12 guage, 32 inch barrels. Nice tight old gun with mirror bores and decent wood. No splits. Stock was a little loose but tightening up the the through the stock bolt fixed that. I gave a little over $300 a couple of years ago and am happy with it. Still looking for a 16 guage to go with it. If it is loose and rusty, I would pass. To me anythig less than $300 for a decent tight gun is a bargan. I have seen a few realy mint guns for sale for $500 to $800. These guns are hard to find in realy good condition. They were well made utility guns in there day and most were used hard and not taken care of very well. The more expensive Winchesters and such tended to be better cared for.

Eric in NC
01-01-2010, 05:54 PM
As others have said - watch condition and any missing parts.

Another thing to watch on these old hammer guns is chamber length. Many (most) are cut for 2.5" or 2 5/8" shells. One reason many of the old guns are loose is that folks kept shooting them with smokeless 2 3/4" shells which they weren't made fore. Measure that chamber if you want a shooter (2.5" shells are out there from polywad.com etc. but not at wal-mart or gander mountain!).

ctrout
01-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll report back if/when I am able to see the gun. If I end up with it, I'll even post pictures.