PDA

View Full Version : Old style 110 trigger issues/questions

sortafast
11-14-2012, 03:23 PM
So I have the trigger assembly on my receiver like the one here: http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?129-Early-Savage-110-Trigger-Adjustment

I want to upgrade to an aftermarket trigger. Does anyone know if the new style triggers and associated parts will fit in an old style receiver? Or am I hosed?

scythefwd
11-14-2012, 06:31 PM
some will some wont. The rifle basix sav-1 will, as will the sss trigger.

geargrinder
11-14-2012, 09:02 PM
The cheapest route would be to buy a complete trigger assembly with a 3-screw trigger. It will have everything you need. I just got one for $35 on LRH.

You'll also need most of the newer style trigger/safety parts if you go with the Basix or SSS.

sortafast
11-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Cool, so I just buy the sear and all the little bits then slap a rifle basix in there and then would be good to go? I need to do some modifications to the receiver to get the DBM to work with it and want to make sure before I get crazy with the mill that I can get a trigger that will work. Its either that or sell the action and get a new one that will work.

geargrinder
11-14-2012, 11:06 PM
For a Basix or SSS, you'll also need the safety, safety cross pin, trigger bracket, and sear.

stangfish
11-15-2012, 12:32 AM
.... or sell the action and get a new one that will work.

This ^

sortafast
11-15-2012, 02:31 PM
This ^

I would prefer to avoid buying another action, if all it would take is a few bucks in replacement parts. But if that won't work, then how much would this action be worth?

LHitchcox
11-15-2012, 06:08 PM
It simply will not be cost effective. I have one of the first generation rifles and it will stay as is.

kevin_stevens
11-15-2012, 07:17 PM
I would prefer to avoid buying another action, if all it would take is a few bucks in replacement parts. But if that won't work, then how much would this action be worth?

You haven't really described what the problem is with the trigger you've got. What's the trouble you're trying to fix?

KeS

geargrinder
11-15-2012, 10:33 PM

I bought my last pre-67 action for $25. After a $80 score on a complete bolt, $15 for a new magazine and follower, and a $35 complete trigger assembly it was ready for barrel swapping.

sortafast
11-16-2012, 11:15 AM
problem is that the trigger is too short top to bottom by about 1/4" so its weird when put into the stock. Also, no matter how I adj it, I can't get it nearly as clean as the 110E Series K I used to have. So I want to put in an aftermarket trigger or even a newer style factory trigger. Since this is going to be for a long range gun I want a good trigger for it. From talking with fred as SSS I just need a sear, sear spring, trigger bracket/housing and I think a safety. Should be less than $50 in parts, then buy an aftermarket trigger and I would be in business.

greyling
11-16-2012, 04:10 PM
I called and talked to fred over at SSS last week with the very same question. he said I would need the sear, safety, etc to use his trigger and could supply all the parts. He did say that the lever on the sear you push down to remove the bolt is longer on the new guns than on the old and that it would probably have to be ground down to fit the cutout on the receiver. He was very nice and I enjoyed talking to him a lot. I decided that since I knew I could get replacement parts I'd screw around with my trigger to see if I could get it where I needed it and buy his parts after I screwed it up. Lo and behold a day later I had a very nice trigger. no creep, about a pound, and didn't do anything funny when I jarred it around a bit. That said, there is no way I would trust it chambered and ready to fire by standing in front of it and having somebody tap on the rear of the gun...... But for a bench gun I like it. I can always back the engagement screw out a bit if I decided I need it safer. http://i.imgur.com/Vrfu1.jpg

problem is that the trigger is too short top to bottom by about 1/4" so its weird when put into the stock. Also, no matter how I adj it, I can't get it nearly as clean as the 110E Series K I used to have. So I want to put in an aftermarket trigger or even a newer style factory trigger. Since this is going to be for a long range gun I want a good trigger for it. From talking with fred as SSS I just need a sear, sear spring, trigger bracket/housing and I think a safety. Should be less than $50 in parts, then buy an aftermarket trigger and I would be in business.