PDA

View Full Version : Bolt loosened up?

back40
11-13-2012, 08:51 PM
I wanted me an old fashioned deer rifle so a couple of months ago I purchased a Savage Classic 14 in .308. ($600.00 out the door) From the beginning the bolt was very stiff. Tonight I put a Weaver 1 pc. tactical base on it so I could get some more scope adjustment. When I finished installing it and cycled the bolt it took at least half the effort to lift it. Smooth as butter. The mounting screws were a little longer than the screws that were on the two piece base I started with. I torqued everything to spec.Any ideas what happened?
P.S. I chose a Savage due to this site and I plan on building or buying a long range precision gun in the future as well as reloading equipment. Man yall are costing me some money but it sho is fun! Thanks Dave

Blue Avenger
11-13-2012, 09:02 PM
screws may be longer, but the base is thicker?
Also if you had it out of the stock, it could be the stock bolt to long and rubbing. Check your lug and see which side it is rubbing on.

back40
11-13-2012, 09:40 PM
The left side lug shows some rubbing. I just can't figure out why changing to a 1 piece scope base made the bolt lift get so much better. What do I do about the lug rubbing?

sharpshooter
11-14-2012, 01:20 AM
The screw was hitting the lug before, and now it is not.

back40
11-14-2012, 01:21 AM
Yup I believe that was it. Thanks