PDA

View Full Version : Flat scope mounting surface or round on rear of action

kbb468
11-13-2012, 12:18 PM
I have the opportunity to purchase a savage 110 in 270 from a friend. He has two and is giving me the option to chose the one I want. They both have a serial number starting with "F" but one has the flat area on the rear of the action and the other has a round area. Which one should I select? Are there any benefits over one versus the other?

dmattaponi
11-13-2012, 01:00 PM
If what I've learned recently about my rifle is true of yours, then the one with the round back receiver may have permanently attached scope mounts (soldered on). The flat back is probably screwed on. Hopefully you'll get some better help around here though, from someone in the "know".

JackinSD
11-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Take your pick. The "soldered on" was probably from a previous owner.

BillPa
11-13-2012, 01:55 PM
The "soldered on" was probably from a previous owner.

Not necessarily so. Savage for a time experimented with soldered on mount, I have one in my collection and its 100% factory.
http://i41.tinypic.com/xf9ilx.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/sy9i0z.jpg

If you look close you can see the solder joint line and its not drilled-tapped.

Bill

thirty06
11-13-2012, 02:04 PM
I believe Sharpshooter said those were made around 89-90.
Some were soldered on and some were cast on.

JackinSD
11-13-2012, 02:18 PM
I stand corrected. Being a friend, I'm sure he would let you take a look and find out.

thomae
11-13-2012, 02:28 PM
I recall someone on the forum with credible knowledge stating that the flats were hand machined. All else being equal, I would probably go with the round receiver myself.

kbb468 did not state that either rifle had permanently attached bases.
(If the bases are screwed in, it really doesn't matter, you can remove them.)
If one of the rifles has permanently attached factory mounts, I'd go with the other, just to give me the additional flexibility of mounting any scope, mount or rail I wanted.

Having said that, I will state that I have an older flatback long action (it used to be a 270, now a 35 Whelen) with the permanently attached bases and the bases are properly aligned with the barrel. It still lines up well and shoots well, at least as well as I can.

Functionally, I don't think there is much difference between the two. Either one might have the large diameter firing pin instead of the more modern small diameter one, but that simply makes it just a wee more difficult to change out bolt heads, but not impossible at all by any stretch of the imagination.

If you can, get a gauge and make sure headspace is good.
Check the bolt faces for any damage.
Don't forget to check the crown.
All else being equal, which one has a better barrel?

kbb468
11-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I didn't know to check them for the permanent fixed bases but now I will see if either has this.

My plans are actually to only use the action only and replace everything else. I am looking at converting it to a 300wsm or some other caliber.

If the bolt has the larger firing pin, what is it that need to be replaced if going to a 300wsm. (bolt head, firing pin assembly, ???)

thomae
11-13-2012, 04:51 PM
If you have a large diameter firing pin:
If you are replacing the bolt head (which you would do in order to switch to a magnum caliber), you should try to get a bolt head already set up for a large firing pin. If not, you can either:
1. Drill out the bolt head to the larger diameter, or
2. Buy a small diameter firing pin and bolt head retaining pin with the smaller hole in it.

That's really all I can think of...I am sure someone will remind me if I have left anything out or forgotten something.

JCalhoun
11-15-2012, 01:24 AM
Does the round rear have the Accutrigger?

kbb468
11-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Does the round rear have the Accutrigger?

No it doesn't have the Accutrigger, it's the old syle trigger.

mattm0812
11-15-2012, 02:25 PM
I have a flat back and they are not soldered on.

Get the round back, they are usually newer.

smax
11-15-2012, 03:19 PM
The flat back is more difficult to find bases for.

jonbearman
11-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Egw makes the flat back rail and is easy to get.The only problem is you have to decide whether after you put a front screw in and see if there is a gap under the flat and do the opposite to see which one is higher or lower. I have had to shim everyone of my flatbacks so far. You can get the shims at brownells or sinclairs I believe.

JCalhoun
11-16-2012, 03:34 PM
All of the modern round backs have the A/T. I would bet it is one of the soldered on or cast actions.