PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Length vs Accuracy

rainman74
11-12-2012, 01:11 PM
I am wanting to buy a Savage 22lr. I am wanting the most accurate rifle I can buy. Is the 21" barrel more accurate than the 16.5" barrel. I plan to put a can on it so I will need the barrel threaded. I can have the longer barrel threaded here for about $60 but don't want to spend more money than I need to.

JCalhoun
11-15-2012, 12:32 AM
Every gun is different but if you are going to be using the subsonic ammo anyway I think the shorter barrel would fine.

r3dn3ck
11-15-2012, 01:42 PM
barrel length is related to accuracy in the way that a car's color is related to how fast the car is. It's not at all but the red ones do seem to get the most tickets.

To clarify: long barrels mean a long sight radii which makes for more precise aiming with IRON SIGHTS only. If you put a scope on it then it doesn't matter a pair of rotten goat bladders how long the barrel is as far as "accuracy" goes. Velocity is a different matter. Longer barrels tend to deliver higher velocities BUT in a .22lr I don't think that's going to matter a lick beyond 16", and IIRC in a .22lr the powder is burnt pretty well the hell up already after 4" of barrel so everything after that is a little tiny bit velocity gain and a longer stick to hit things with after you're out of bullets.

dacaur
11-18-2012, 11:56 PM
With a 16" barrel, even using subsonic ammo it will still be loud enough to need ear protection. With a 21" barrel, it sounds like a pelet gun.

Blue Avenger
11-19-2012, 12:05 AM
one of my best shooters was a 10" .223 TC Encor. got a 1" at 300yds one day with 35gr ballistic tips