PDA

View Full Version : Changing barrel calibers on a Stevens short action

btr568
12-31-2009, 02:15 PM
Just got a Stevens 7mm-08 from Academy Sports,I have several questions
1)If I wanted to change calibers,how hard is it to do?
2)without changing the bolt,what calibers,could I do?
3)who has barrels?
4) who would ya'll recommend if I had a barrel made,in a caliber that isn't a factory barrel(like a 358 Winchester)
Thanks from a newbie to the site

82boy
12-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Welcome to the site.
If you have a slight bit of mechanical ability you can change it all your self, changing the bolt head is not any harder than changing the barrel. For the price of a membership you can see the articles that explain step by step with pictures how this is all done.

Without changing the bolt head your can do a ton of calibers, such as anything from the 308 parent lines 243, 260, 308, etc, 22/250 and variants, and 6x47 lapua, 6br, and so one. Who has barrel well three site sponsors have barrels Sharp Shooter Supply (AKA SSS) Northland, and Sin-arms. All of them do many calibers but for the truly exotic SSS would be your best bet.

spaniel
12-31-2009, 03:10 PM
Check out switchbarrel.com.

Basically, you need some sort of barrel vise (I made one as the site described), the nut wrench, and gauges to appropriately headspace whatever barrel you are putting on.

The first time you take that factory barrel off it WILL be a pain. That nut is on there with superglue. You'll need to heat it up decently with a torch to help break it loose. I was afraid I was going to twist something by the time I broke it loose.

Bad Water Bill
12-31-2009, 03:29 PM
Welcome

As Pat said, for $12.00 you will help support the best Savage site AND be able to see and read the many articles written by Pat and many others here on how to do virtually anything to a Savage product.