PDA

View Full Version : Queston on loose actions screws

Mrcalamiteh
11-10-2012, 10:18 PM
I took my rifle to the range for the first time today (savage 111, it was the combo deal with the cheap no-name scope) after buying it yesterday, and i was shooting groups just fine, but every four or five shots i would get a "flyer", only i would consistently hit in that same spot for another four or five shots. I was thinking this could be the scope or mounts, but after i got home i checked the action screws, and they were loose. Could this be causing it? or would you guys say it's still the scope/mounting

ellobo
11-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Could be a combination of both. Definately the mtg screws will let your barrel touch the stock which will change your point of impact depending on which side of the barrel channel it is hitting. Torque the screws to 30 inch pounds while keeping the barrel centered in the channel. then run a dollar bill down the channel to see if the barrel is free floated as it should be, not hitting the stock anywhere. You may have to sand out the barrel channel a bit with sandpaper on a dowel. If that doesnt work then check the scope mounting screws. Sometimes those cheap scopes can be pretty good. I have an older Simmons 3-9 that is amazingly accurate, tracks well and so far works OK. 7-8 yrs old. It will stay on the rifle it is on until it proves it cant do the job anymore. When cash poor you make do with what you have.

El Lobo

Mrcalamiteh
11-10-2012, 10:55 PM
What's the best way to try and keep it straight? it seems kinda crooked in the stock but i can't seem to keep it straight when i tighten it down

Mrcalamiteh
11-10-2012, 11:40 PM
I can't seem to get the barrel to center out. It's almost all the way against the left side of the stock.

stangfish
11-10-2012, 11:43 PM
What caliber is it?
If it seems crooked it may be.
Recently there was a post on here about some QC issues with an action drilled and tapped off perpendicular.

Mrcalamiteh
11-10-2012, 11:45 PM
It's a 30-06. Will this cause any huge problems or is it alright? it's ALMOST touching the other side, but not quite.

Mrcalamiteh
11-10-2012, 11:48 PM
another question - could it be the stock or is it most likely the barrel?

tinkerer
11-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Step 1. Check all screws, from scope to action for tight. make sure action screws are torqued to 30 inch pounds and NOT into bolt area.

Step 2. Take a dollar bill (hopefully you have at least 1 left) and slide it under barrel all the way to the nut. It should not hit. If it does, remove barreled action and sand for clearance. Mount and try again until all clear.

Step 3. After you shoot 5 shots in a row, try dollar again for clearance to avoid hitting on hot.

Now you have addressed most common problems.

Larry
Tinkerer

Mrcalamiteh
11-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Obviously you mean sand the stock down, right? And do you know of any retailers that sell a torque screwdriver so I can get it to exactly 3 in. Lbs? Thanks for all your help.

Detritus
11-11-2012, 03:19 PM
do you know of any retailers that sell a torque screwdriver

If you have a BASSProShop in your area they carry the Wheeler F.A.T. Wrench which is easily adjustable and probably the most common torque screwdriver out there right now. Midway (of course), and I think Gander Mnt. also carry it. You can also step up in price and hassle and visit your local Sears tool Dept ask them order you one of the Craftsman inch-Lb torque wrenchs. Also some higher volume gunshops carry the F.A.T. wrench

Basicly the easy way is to order the F.A.T. Wrench from Midway. But if for whatever reason you can't go that Route, it turns into calling around to larger gun/outdoor retailers to see if anyone has one, then hitting up more mainline tool sellers for their In-lb tools.

ellobo
11-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Several threads said 30 inch pounds then you, Mrcalamity, said in one of your threads 3 inch lbs. 30 is the correct setting. Sand out the barrel channel to get more clearance. I doubt very much that you have a bent or off center barrel.

El Lobo

tobnpr
11-13-2012, 09:24 PM
Loose action screws will definitely cause inconsistencies.
Frequently- even with high-end custom stocks- the inletting/bedding blocks may be set slightly off-center to the centerline of the stock. While not pretty, it won't affect accuracy unless it's bad enough to place stress on the action, or cause the barrel to touch the stock.

If it's really ugly, send it back, and ask them to replace the stock.