PDA

View Full Version : Split scope rings

Mrcalamiteh
11-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Are Leupold split rings any good? or am I better off getting different rings for my rifle than split rings?

sharpshooter
11-10-2012, 07:40 PM
If scope rings were not split, how would you install them?

helotaxi
11-10-2012, 07:42 PM
I think that he's talking about vertically split rings.

Mrcalamiteh
11-10-2012, 08:12 PM
Yeah. sorry for not elaborating. the vertical split rings vs the horizontal rings I guess. I'm pretty new to rifles so sorry about my failed terminology.

r3dn3ck
11-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Vertically split rings are a PITA and I've seen at least 2 pinched scopes (well... 1 pinched and 1 bent) from using them. The best rings I've used are Burris Signature Series. They make them for weaver and redfield type mounts.

helotaxi
11-12-2012, 08:38 PM
While I love the Burris Sig rings and am using several sets of them, for use on an elevated scope rail like an EGW I love vertically split rings. They're slightly more complicated to install, but you only have to do it once. Doing so without damaging the scope is a simple matter as well unless the rings are junk or you're trying to use them with a windage adjustable base. If the latter, don't use anything but the Signature rings.

stangfish
12-16-2012, 02:42 AM
Vertically split rings are a PITA and I've seen at least 2 pinched scopes (well... 1 pinched and 1 bent) from using them. The best rings I've used are Burris Signature Series. They make them for weaver and redfield type mounts.

I like the burris as well. I have never seen a damaged tube from using a warne vertical split ring..ever. All the damaged scopes I have seen were cheap horizontal split rings with ignorant beginners tightening the crap out of them because they thought the scope was moving.