PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Mark II BTV, TRR or FV

DangerDanJD
11-10-2012, 06:09 PM
I'm looking to pick up a bolt action rimfire in 22 and am leaning towards a savage. I'm trying to choose between the Mark II BTV, TRR or FV. The plan is to use it as a inexpensive (to shoot) target rifle for bench and prone shooting mainly. I want something with a heavy barrel which is why I have settled on one of the above (which I believe all have heavy's). It is also my understanding that all three come with accutrigger. It appears that the FV and BTV both come with a 21 inch barrel and the TR/TRR comes with a 22.

I honestly like the looks of the TR the most and if I go with the FV, I would anticipate putting a boyds tactical stock on it. My only reason to consider the BTV is that it may be more accurate?

So, anyone have any experience with the accuracy difference in the three rifles? Also, the MSRP or both the BTV and TR/TRR is significantly higher then the FV and I'm not sure why? I'm guessing it's the difference in the costs of the stock but are there other differences? Thanks.

(Posted here as I thought it would attract more attention from the rimfire folks, please move to Help Me Decide forum if more appropriate). :confused:

outback andy
11-10-2012, 10:56 PM
I purchased the savage 93 in the .22 Mag bull barrel, it also comes in the .22 LR and .17, and I also put a Boyds stock on it and i,ll have to say I injoy
shooting this rifle more then my CZ I have in the .22 Mag, The accuracy is the same with both these rifles, I can group inside a dime at 50 yards every day.
Hornady ammo has improved this round with the V-max bullet so much... and the .22 Mag you can hunt larger game with it.

Tempest
11-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Have a TRR and love it.

JCalhoun
11-15-2012, 12:35 AM
They all use the same magazine, trigger, action and barrel. You shouldn't notice any difference in accuracy.

DangerDanJD
11-15-2012, 10:31 AM
I picked up a Mark II FV from my LGS. A little more expensive that online prices but I like to buy local when possible and he happened to have one in stock. I also found a NIB Boyds Tacticool stock, tan in color, in a different forums classifieds for a great price and its on the way. I ordered new bottom metal and trigger guard from diproducts.com to go along with the Boyds stock. I have read lots of good things about the diproducts bottom metal. It's supposed to be a good upgade from stock and I needed a new set. I also ordered a Mueller 4.5-14x40 APT mil-dot scope. This is going to be a fun to shoot training rifle and I thought it would be a great rifle to learn the mil-dot system on (I may also throw it on my Savage 308 for the remainder of deer season as the cheap Bushnell scope that came with the xp package died on me). Last, I ordered a 6-9 bipod. I saved a little money over a harris by going with a swivel Shooters Ridge Champion, which should work well for a rimfire. I'll try to post pictures once I have her finished.

JCalhoun
11-16-2012, 03:28 PM
We have a few good articles on mil-dots in the library. Links can be found on the home page.

DangerDanJD
11-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Still waiting on the Tacticool Stock and Mueller Scope, but I did get the chance to put about 100 rounds through the FV today. With just a cheap simmons 3x9 scope I had laying around, I was getting cloverleafs shooting prone and also punching holes through some empty 38 brass at about 35 yards. Just shooting behind the house so I couldn't take any longer shots. Very impressed so far.

JCalhoun
11-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Cool.