PDA

View Full Version : New to Savage 110 & Forum with a few questions

dmattaponi
11-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and Savage rifles. I grew up hunting, but until last year hadn't hunted in 16 years. During that time I sold off my hunting rifles. Then at the request of my son who turned 12 and wanted to go hunting, I got back into it last hunting season. I bought him a rifle, and borrowed one for myself from a friend. This year I decided to look for a used rifle for myself, and a local hardware store had a used Savage 110 in 270Win for $275. I chose it over some new Ruger American', Remington 770, and Savage Axis models they had on the shelves, because the 110 just felt and aimed better to me. It appears to be an older model with wooden stock (no checkering), and no accutrigger. It was in very nice condition overall. Came with a cheap Tasco scope. Since purchasing the rifle I've been trying to do a little research on it. When I first got it I cycled some live rounds through it, and I noticed the live rounds were just barely ejected out of the gun. They cleared the wood, but just barely. At the range, it seemed to eject fired casings fine. I ordered a new ejector and spring, but since it did okay on the fired rounds, I think I'm going to leave it as-is for now. Otherwise it functioned perfectly and was more accurate than the shooter. Anyway, in the process of looking for the parts I've read some things that have confused me a bit. 1) From what I read I thought this rifle should have a "flat back" receiver, but when i look at it under the rear scope mount it appears to be round. It's an E972### serial number. Can anyone shed some light on period of manufacture without me having to call the person who Savage recommends? Also, the bolt at the rear is sloted, not hex. What I'm wondering is when did Savage switch from flat to round receivers and from slot to hex bolt take-down? Basically, I'm wondering the age of my rifle, and if these are original parts or if the gun may have been "tinkered" with? Also, does the way the rifle ejected unfired rounds sound normal for a 110? Thanks very much in advance for any help any of you can provide on educating me about my Savage 110.

Werewolf
11-09-2012, 06:30 PM
I bought an older 110 that had a round back and a slotted bolt assembly screw. The caveat is that the scope bases were soldered on at the factory. have you ever had it apart to see? Older savages can have all sorts of gunk and dried up lube in the bolts that can affect various things. You may just try cleaning the snot out of it and even take it apart and clean it if you feel up to the task. Dissasemble the ejector in a baggie so you don't lose pieces! Plus unfired round=heavy, fired round =light, so that explains the difference. If cleaning doesn't solve it you may just need to replace the spring (baggie!). I am not sure of the man date but I think mine was made in the 80s.

Oh and congrats on buying the 110, it'll end up being a better rifle in the end than the others you looked at. just my opinion (I own six).

Mach2
11-09-2012, 07:15 PM
Older Savages did have slotted screws for the bolt. Sounds to me like you're ready to go hunting. Get a orange hat and two bullets and hit the woods.....................and welcome aboard.

Nandy
11-09-2012, 07:34 PM
There is a member that you can pm the serial of your gun and he can pm you the manufacturing date of your rifle. Im not sure if it is mr furious and I cant find the thread. Pm one of the moderators or admin and I am sure they can tell you who it is. My rifle was build on 90, it was a 110 in 30-06 and the action is a flat rear with the BAS was slotted.

dmattaponi
11-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks all. I appreciate the comments and info. No, I haven't had it apart, but I was wondering if that might be the case. With deer season so close and the rifle already sighted in, I'll probably wait to taqke it apart and check it out. Oh, and hat and bullets all ready. Just need a nice deer to walk nice and slow in front of me:-)

dmattaponi
11-10-2012, 12:11 AM
After reading a little more, and looking at the gun with a flashlight, it appears that the scope mounts are soldered on. I can see a light silver line.

Mach2
11-10-2012, 12:41 AM
Does the rifle have a metal or plastic trigger guaed?

davemuzz
11-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Just need a nice deer to walk nice and slow in front of me:-)

Oh heck.....that's the easy part. I've been hunting for 40+ years. Yeah....the walking trophy in front of you Buck.....the easy part. I'm still waiting. I said it was easy....never said it was quick!!! :) Good luck!! I really hope your son bags a bit one!! That will hook him for life!!!

dmattaponi
11-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Mach2, I'm not entirely sure. It has a seam or mold line going down the center. Feels lie metal, but looks more lie plastic.

davmuzz, agreed that's what I'm hoping for...that he gets one, and gets excited.

sharpshooter
11-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Your gun was made in 1989.

Nandy
11-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Your gun was made in 1989.

Fred knows a thing or 2 about savages...

dmattaponi
11-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Thanks very much, Sharpshooter. That's the question I wanted answered most. Much appreciated.

dmattaponi
11-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Update for future newbies...Serial # E972###. Rifle made in 1989. Savage filed for bankruptcy in 1988, and cut production down to only their most basic 110 models. My E972### rifle definitely fits that description...plain birch stock, blind magazine, no knurling on bolt handle, plastic trigger guard, round back receiver with soldered two piece scope mounts, slotted bolt knob, barrel not drilled for open sights (before this was the norm). From what I can tell though, a pretty basic but solid deer rifle. This evidently is what kept the company afloat, and helped it reestablish itself in the 1990s.

Again, I thought I'd summarize a description of my rifle for future newbies with E serial number 110' as it really seems a bit difficult to find complete summaries instead of bits and pieces of info here and there. Thanks to everyone for their comments.

stangfish
11-10-2012, 01:12 PM
It has a seam or mold line going down the center. Feels lie metal, but looks more lie plastic.

Plastic will have a different sound if you tap it with something hard. a dull sound as apposed to a metalic sound. Plastic will also transmit less thermal difference so in a cold house metal will feel cooler and in a warm place it is warmer to the touch.:boink:

Werewolf
11-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Now that I know the rifle was made in 1989, I was able to read that my rifle is one of those that was made after Savage filed for bankruptcy in 1988, and cut production down to only their most basic 110 models. My rifle definitely fits that description...plain birch stock, blind magazine, no knurling on bolt handle, round back receiver with soldered two piece scope mounts, barrel not drilled for open sights (before this was the norm), but from what I can tell a pretty basic, but solid deer rifle. This evidently is what kept the company afloat, and helped it reestablish itself. Thought I'd post the info here for any future members looing for help with their 110 purchase.

Yup, that's the one! Thank the rifle gods that they soldered your bases on straight enough for a scope to work. I really had to fight with mine to get it on target. I recently sent it off to get those bases removed and have the reciever drilled for a rail.

dmattaponi
11-10-2012, 01:45 PM
stangfish, looing at the trigger guard as you suggested, it appears to be plastic.

werewolf, yes from what I've beenr reading I am glad they are straight. I had no problem adjusting and zeroing in the scope.