PDA

View Full Version : Querky Rifle

Pages : 1 [2]

JCalhoun
11-15-2012, 01:11 AM
I would definitely try upgrading to a better scope.

Also, screws don't need Loctite. A little bit of oil on the threads is all.

mnbogboy2
11-15-2012, 02:27 PM
From past experience checking the length of the front scope mount screw is the first thing I would look for.....It seems that some screws will hit the barrel threads depending on the c-sink in the mount....It will feel "tight" but the mount can move....Shorten it if you have to..
Good Luck,
randy

mnbogboy2
11-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Another common problem is that heat treating often upsets the mount screw holes to bore alignment.....I have seen two so drastic that a "cheap" scope ran out of usable adjustment...In those cases I used Burris signature mounts for scope to bore correction....
Randy

Biggred191
11-18-2012, 12:24 AM
I hate to jack the OP's thread, but as I said earlier I seem to be experiencing the same thing with my Model 11. Well, I went out to the range today using the same over the counter ammo (win super x). I can hit where I aim at 30-50 yds to sight in, but it gets erratic at 100 yds. After referencing my other targets I tend to hit high and left. For an example of how erratic my grouping is, I hit a bit low and right and after that I was consistently high and left. I wasn't able to tell where I was hitting after a few shots, so after the range went cold I found out I was putting it through the same holes. I have been told and I have read that after sighting it in, it will be good for 100 yds as well. I suppose further adjustment is needed? I guess today was the most consistent I have shot, despite being off from my aim point. I am new to shooting and I can tell I have improved in the short time I have had the rifle and the results from today lead me to believe the equipment needs some tweaking. I am going to try that scope break in method from an earlier reply and get out before the season opens next week...My main concern is that my grouping has shown to be inconsistent and the most consistent groupings I've had were still off.

teebirdhyzer
11-18-2012, 12:31 PM
In my opinion, the Hornady custom or superformance loads are about the only sub $30/box stuff I would even consider shooting. Everything else I've tried that is cheaper than that is very hit or miss.....pun intended! Of course, you will always find a barrel that shoots the cheapest stuff you can buy to sub 1" groups....but the next box of that same ammo you buy may hit 7" low and make a 3" group.....you just can't ever tell. Like fgw_in_fla, the main reason I got into reloading was because I couldn't find any ammo that would make either of my .270's group like I thought they should. Still have a big pile of half shot up factory ammo boxes in by shop. Good luck with your quest...I understand how frustrating it can be to try and get a gun to shoot....but when you do you will sleep with a smile on your face for a week!