PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Handle Bolt

scope eye
11-09-2012, 12:28 PM
There is a 270 cal 110 flatback at a local shop that I was looking to buy, and the bolt at they end that holds the bolt handle and basically everything, is not a large flat screwdriver or a hex "allen" it is hollow with no visible way to unfasten it, anyone ever see this or know how to loosen it, so if I were to buy it I can put a varmint style handle.

Tanks Dean

Gmac5
11-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Decock it ,it should have allen recessed.

fgw_in_fla
11-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Use the edge of a bench or block of wood to decock it by sliding over the little button thingie on the bolt shaft. You should be able to see a 1/4" hex opening. When you recock the bolt to put it back into the reciever, don't forget....
You need to catch the skin on the side of your finger in it at least once. It's a requirement to do this at least once. From that point, you'll always remember to not do it.
I think I catch my skin it it about every other time I uncock & recock a bolt on the edge of the bench. You'd think I'd learn after the first time...
Good luck with it,
Frank in Fla.

scope eye
11-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Thanks for they heads up FWG sounds like fun, can it be changed over to a regular bolt?

Dean

Gmac5
11-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Yes

Werewolf
11-09-2012, 06:11 PM
If it is an older flatback shouldn't it have a slotted BAS? I thought the allen BAS were all on newer (IE Roundback) guns. I may be wrong about that, but it would red flag it to me as a non original bolt and a gun that may have been modified. I would check EVERYTHING before I fired it (bolt assembly, headspace, etc.) just to be safe.

Oh and Frank, I feel your pain brother. I've had a couple of my rifles bite me that way. You'd think as much money and time as I spend on them they would be more grateful.

scope eye
11-09-2012, 08:01 PM
I am basically buying it for they action so I am not worried, and it does not look molested in any way, but your right I thought flat backs came with a slotted bolt, must be a transitional ones during production, but we all know Savage has made some funky stuff through the years.

Tanks Dean

thirty06
11-09-2012, 09:36 PM
My flat back 110 has the hex BAS with the lock in it. Very rare and useless.

scope eye
11-10-2012, 05:32 AM
Doesn't that extra weight add to the lock time?

sharpshooter
11-10-2012, 11:58 AM
The bolts that have the lock on them uses a different BAS, the firing pin is the same. Even if it did add to lock time it would affect nothing.

JCalhoun
11-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Not all flatbacks had the slotted screw. My Model 10 and 114 both had Allen head.