PDA

View Full Version : M12FV Want to build

ajoey
11-09-2012, 11:09 AM
I have a 12FV in .22-250 that I want to build into a different caliber. The rifle came with a 26 inch heavy varmint barrel, blind magazine, and I put one of those crummy Bell and Carlson Durramaxx stocks on it.

I definitely need to change the stock out, but need some guidance on the barrel. I'm not sure if I should even re-barrel, or leave the rifle as is and just replace the stock. The barrel is a slow twist 1:12 and I can't get 55gr ballistic tips to print on paper at 50yds. This thing likes the 45 to 50gr bullets. I have some requirements for the rifle and I don't think the 45-50 gr bullets will work for it.

I want to shoot this rifle at a maximum range of 500-600 yards. Where I live I think the longest range is 600 and that's a private members only range. (I don't have the $900 yearly fee to be worthy of membership) more than likely this rifle will touch 300 yards at the most and that's about it. I would like to have a rifle that can cleanly take deer and hogs, but still be relatively soft shooting. I have heard some great things about the .260 Remington, but lack of factory support is discouraging. Right now I live in an apartment and don't have the space to set up my press. (broke LEO)

I'd like to do this over the course of several months and would like to keep it as cost effective as possible. My maximum weight for the rifle is around 10 pounds. Right now I'm thinking about rebarreling to .243 Winchester or 7mm-08, but the .260 has my attention. I know a .308 will be the easiest to find on the shelf, but I already own a .30-06 and I don't care for the recoil.

Any insight on barrel manufacturers and stocks will be very helpful. Any insight on switching calibers would also be helpful. I have a ER Shaw barrel on my AR and that rifle shoots lights out for a 16 inch AR. Is ER Shaw a good starting point? I'd like to be able to carry this rifle in the field, but would also like some long range capability. I just need some ideas. Thanks.

82boy
11-09-2012, 12:12 PM
I would leave it alone, get a better stock, and try some 52 gr bullets with 4895, I have yet to see a 22/250 that would not shot copetitive in a match with that load. In fact I have gotten new 22/250 that I have never fired, placed a scope on them , and won the match. I have yet to see any 22 barrel that shot well with 55 gr bullets no matter what the make. As far as shooting out to 300 yards, no problem. If you was to still rebarrel it, you may want to get a 1 in 9 or 8 twist 22/250, it will shot 80 gr bullet out past 1000 yards like a lazar beam. Out of what your have listed I would not pick any of them. If you only shooting paper why not a 6BR? The round is super accurate, hold many records at 600 and 1000 yards, low on recoil, it is also a real contender at 100 to 300 yards, and is one heck of a varminter cartridge.

ajoey
11-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the input. How well does the 53 gr TSX do on whitetail deer? I think you're probably right about just leaving the barrel as is. The rifle will probably evolve into more of a target/long range hunting rifle. I don't think I'll be shooting any matches with it, but who knows.

Who makes a solid affordable stock? I'm not looking to spend more than $250-300 on the stock right now. Maybe down the road, but not right now. Really, the cheaper the better. I don't want junk, but I do have a budget, I mean wife....

82boy
11-09-2012, 12:59 PM
How well does the 53 gr TSX do on whitetail deer?

Havent a clue, as we are not aloud to shot dear with a rifle in our state, but if we could a 22/250 would not be my first choice.

Wo makes a solid affordable stock? I'm not looking to spend more than $250-300 on the stock right now.

Well your in luck the best money can buy is almost in your price range. Get a Sharp Shooters Supply, at $345.00 and never need another stock.

ajoey
11-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Are choate stocks any good? About what's the heaviest bullet a 1:12 barrel will shoot?

82boy
11-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Are choate stocks any good? About what's the heaviest bullet a 1:12 barrel will shoot?

Some like Choate, imo they are OK at best. If you want a good synthetic stock my starting point would be HS precision. They are around $375.00 to $400. If you want a great synthetic stock then you need to look at McMillian.

In a 1 in 12 22/250 the heaviest bullets that will stabilize would be around 60 grs. I tried 68s and they key holes for me I have shot Winchester 60 grs, and they did fine.

1ShotKing
11-09-2012, 04:10 PM
I have used 64 grain Winchester power points in my 12 twist with good results. I have read that some people are using a 64 grain Berger flat base match grade varmint bullet also with good results. Might be worth a try.

1ShotKing

rjtfroggy
11-10-2012, 07:37 AM
If you want a decent solid stock look at the BOYD'S laminates( they have varmint barrel profiles on some).If you don't mind a little work and a thin upper fore end then any one of them will work with a little time spent sanding out the barrel channel. They sell for around $100.
If you want a little better then check out Stocky's but they are also double the cost,usually drop right in with out the extra work.
Either way make sure of screw spacing and barrel profile before you order.

ellobo
11-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Ditto on the Boyds. Prairie Hunter model would be my choice in laminate. Even with the optional checkering the cost would be $150. Laminates are as stiff and sturdy as it gets. Just not all that light.

El Lobo

JCalhoun
11-10-2012, 03:10 PM
ajoey;

If you tell us where you live, maybe we can find a place for you to shoot for less money.