PDA

View Full Version : Accu-trigger weight mounted vs unmounted.

howabouttheiris
11-09-2012, 10:21 AM
I recently removed my Model 12 FCV .223 Accu-stock during cleaning. (see my other thead on a primer vent) I was getting some falls to safe when shooting. This was very controlled bench shooting.

I cleaned the trigger assembly and on the bench the action is working perfectly, with a crisp release, trigger pull around 3 lbs and no sensitivity to me wiggling the safety blade.

HOWEVER. As soon as I mount the stock, my trigger pull falls to <1 lb and it is always right on the edge of falling to safe. Screws are tight, everything appears to be working (bolt, trigger, mag, etc). I do not see any mechanical interference.

I removed it and it is again 3 lbs, i installed it and it is again 1lb.

Has anyone else ever noticed this? Is there a reassembly/bolt/alignment/lube/screwtorque/etc issue that could cause this?

82boy
11-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Yes, this is common, the shock of the bolt closing can cause many of these problems.

howabouttheiris
11-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Yes, this is common, the shock of the bolt closing can cause many of these problems.

Confused by this statement. I am closing the bolt and working the action in both cases. It is being done VERY VERY gently.

82boy
11-09-2012, 10:59 AM
When you have the action out of the stock, you are holding the bolt all the way during its travel, when it is in the stock, you are letting the bolt drop the last bit. Anyway the gun will preform diferent with a loaded cartridge, than it will with an empty chamber. The reason why your trigger is slam firing to a safe position, is because the trigger is too light, and is being shocked when the bolt is closed. You can change the bolt handle out for something lighter, and this may fix some of the problem, but chances are you will have to turn the weight up on the trigger.

howabouttheiris
11-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate your responses .... BUT I am not seeing slam firing or slam "fall to safe"

I have > 2k rounds thru the gun and understand that I cannot be aggressive with the bolt. I close the bolt VERY gently in both cases, I do not let the bolt drop at any point. Actually it would never 'drop', as it is not that loose.

The gun is sitting on a stand, the bolt is closed. I can pull the safety blade away and release it without issue. In my mind, the trigger mechanism must be sitting on the sear.

I see no mechanical interference between the stock and the bolt.

Jamie
11-09-2012, 11:27 AM
This is not a case of the trigger being too light, it is at 3 lbs out of the stock but in the stock it is 1 lb. This tells me that for whatever reason now, the action is being stressed when tightened in the stock. I can't tell you why it didn't do it before but it is definitely being stressed now. You may have to mess around with alternate tightning of the bolts or may even have to bed, it but it seems something is causing the action to be stressed.

howabouttheiris
11-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Thanks Jamie, I agree that it sounds like an alignment / mounting issue.

I reassemble with ....

a) counter clockwise barrel twist pressure
b) clockwise barrel twist pressure
c) back screw hard 1st
d) front screw hard 1st
e) .....

until I find a "happy" place.