PDA

View Full Version : camelback help-

Pages : [1] 2

Willoughby
11-09-2012, 12:32 AM
anyone know how to make water drinkable out of a camel back ?
it taste like water for about 10 minutes
after that it taste like a goodyear tire
graet idea for quiet- no sloshing around while hunting -hiking
IF ... IF .........IF........... it was drinkable
what do you currentlyt use for water ?
canteen
bottled water
camelback
other ?

thomae
11-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Been using Camelback(the brand name) and other hydration bladders for years. The best thing since sliced bread in my book. I also find that the on-off valves are worth the extra money.

Make sure the bladder and tube are really clean, and after clean, are dried out between uses so you get no mold or mildew. I invested in a couple of the devices that go in the bladder and keep it open so it can dry out between uses. I also take the tube off and clean and drain it, letting it dry separately.

I've have kept water in a clean bladder for months and had no ill effects. (I think the issue of mildew arises when one has water and air in the bladder.)

Also, I only ever fill it with water. Either room temperature, or with ice.

You can also get water filters for your camelback if you don't like the taste.
In my experience, the rubbery taste will hopefully go away when the bladder and tube are not as new.

I love 'em, but admittedly, they are not for everyone.

helotaxi
11-09-2012, 09:42 AM
The name brand Camelbaks have never had that problem for me. I currently have 6 or so of various designs. Can't speak to the knock-offs.

Willoughby
11-09-2012, 10:40 PM
mine is a USMC issue camel back
the water taste like camel bottom--
rubber taste even after bleaching & flushing several times before use
I found out over on SH you need to store them dry
which I have never done
Ill try that
there a great ides ........only if I can drink the water

digger11
11-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Clean it and store it in the freezer between uses.I always use bleach to clean mine and then rinse it alot.

thomae
11-10-2012, 05:21 PM
the water taste like camel bottom--:devilish: Hmmm...I can't say I've ever tasted a camel's bottom. :thumb:

handirifle
11-11-2012, 01:21 AM
Replacement bladders are not much $$ really. I'd get a new bladder and tube. Make sure the mouth piece is new too. Not worth the little money to keep a bad one.

irondog54
11-12-2012, 11:17 PM
I found that my Kelty tastes better than my Camelback. I mix 1/3 gatorade in my 'bak....

Mike Vegas
11-13-2012, 06:52 AM
Two suggestions:

1. Pinch your nose when drinking. By doing so, it will limit your sense of taste.

2. Mio, it'll make your camel piss water taste like good sweet tasting camel piss :D and it's zero calories :D

flyinsquirel
11-17-2012, 01:43 AM
When I get a new one, I rinse with baking soda in warm water, not hot. Then lemon juice with water after that. Works for me.

ofdscooby
12-14-2012, 07:32 PM
I like the valves I keep an extra in case of a blowout also the camelback brand flavor tabs that you can ad taste great and have alot of electrolytes in them basically same thing as Gatorade but are more convieniant also the tabs are great if your adding iodine to kill parasites or filtering

Blue Avenger
12-14-2012, 08:21 PM
camelback and valves? Were now talking about corvet heads?

Williarj87
12-25-2012, 04:55 PM
Be careful about hunting in cold weather. I went elk hunting this year in utah, and on a 14 degree morning the hoses to all of our camelbacks froze over, even with the neoprene sock cover! we had to open up the lids to drink anything. When it comes to the taste i have found that the water in the hose is what tastes like crap, between uses squeeze the mouthpiece for a little while till all of the water that was in the hose is rinsed out and you are drinking straight from the bladder. should work a little better for you.

LanceS4803
02-19-2013, 04:35 PM
I haven't had them freeze while hunting, but had the tube freeze while skiing.

As for additives to your camelback (or canteen), be careful.
A couple of my soldiers used the MRE drink mix in theirs. Turned it quickly into a godawful mess with a science experiment growing in the bladder.
Clean it well and let it dry!

poorbuthappy
02-19-2013, 05:24 PM
I am a fan of the nalgene pouch.... Never gets as nasty as the camelback ones....

Armed in Utah
06-05-2013, 11:02 PM
interesting.......some good advise........

been looking at Camelbacks myself......

Chrazy-Chris
08-08-2013, 09:58 AM
I'm rigging up a way to have slim camelback attached to my elk hunting pack... this way if I want to ditch the pack (spotting scope, tripod, munchies, ammo, rope, etc..) for a stalk or something, I can just take the slim camelback with me and still have water.

As for the taste, I just suck it up and get used to it. I've been using camelbacks for years with mountain biking, hiking, hunting, and deployments so I guess I'm used to it. I do dry mine using the yellow camelback bladder hanger thing that keeps it open to air our.

Stockrex
09-06-2013, 02:53 PM
:devilish: Hmmm...I can't say I've ever tasted a camel's bottom. :thumb:
how do you know what a camel's .... tastes like?

just buy one from samsclub or Costco, I got mine there and they taste like water, I think wallys has a replacement bag too,

Vince
03-28-2014, 05:17 AM
I'm rigging up a way to have slim camelback attached to my elk hunting pack... this way if I want to ditch the pack (spotting scope, tripod, munchies, ammo, rope, etc..) for a stalk or something, I can just take the slim camelback with me and still have water.

As for the taste, I just suck it up and get used to it. I've been using camelbacks for years with mountain biking, hiking, hunting, and deployments so I guess I'm used to it. I do dry mine using the yellow camelback bladder hanger thing that keeps it open to air our.

Good advice here.
As for the taste of a camel's rear end, it taste not unlike fowl.

kev350
04-04-2014, 01:08 AM
Mine had that rubber tire taste but I did a couple of flushs with some lemon juice and water mix. No more bad taste.