PDA

View Full Version : Factory load - Savage 111 W/o accutrigger, 300 win mag

masamune1337
11-08-2012, 02:48 PM
I normally hunt with my .270, however upon sight in for upcoming white tail season I found the scope mounted to it was toast...

I have a 111, 300 win mag, bought back in 2009(ish) w/o the accutrigger, and plan on using it until I can save up for some replacement glass on the .270. I wondered if anyone has any factory ammo suggestions for this gun that would pair nicely with white tail hunting. Something that shoots accurately from their 111. I am pretty limited on ammo choice in my location, so I would have to mail order pretty much anything.

I have in my possession a half box of winchester power point 180 grain, and they group ok ~2+ inches, but was looking for a little better. I was hoping to avoid ordering ammo that others have found does not group or perform well on game in their 300 mag.

Shots (honestly) should be under 400 yards at the high end, expect to see 100-200 yards more likely. 2 inch groups are ok for this range I know, but I'm positive the gun can do better, and would give me the confidence in the rifle needed to hunt a blind that has more shot opportunities but at longer range.

Thanks for any/all help

stomp442
11-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Every rifle is different and factory ammo that shoots good in mine might shoot like crap out of yours. I would suggest buying a few different boxes of stuff loaded with a premium bullet whether it be sierra, nosler, or Barnes and just see what one shoots best.

yooper9
11-12-2012, 10:16 PM
I just got the savage bear hunter in 300 win mag. Shot it for the first time yesterday. I picked up a box of hornady 150 and 165 grain btsp
I was extremely impressed with the gun and factory ammo. Both shot great. Best 3 shot groups were 1"@200 and 3 1/2"@400 yards.