PDA

View Full Version : corncob or walnut

Pages : 1 [2]

loneranger04
11-12-2012, 09:16 PM
I like the Walnut from the pet stores best. Cheap and works good. I usually wash my brass in dish soapy hot water after lubing them for sizing. Some run them through the vibratory cleaner. To each their own. Sorry but I like shiny brass.

Mike Vegas
11-13-2012, 07:08 AM
what do you guy use to tumble you shells in

I'm using Cabelas Tumbler

Corncob

Good:
- Cheaper than walnut media
- Makes brass shine more than walnut media
- Media looks dirty after some use, but it doesn't need replacing. It supposed to last for a while.

Bad:
- It takes a thousand years to get the brass shiny. 5 hours plus, at full load capacity.
- Sensitive to static, it makes a lot of mess because it sticks in the case or where there's static (yes I use used dryer sheets)

Walnut

Good
- The more course the media, the faster the brass shines/cleans at 3 hours time. But the more course the media the more it will show a dull shine.
- Still affordable even when it's slightly expensive than the corncob
- Not as sensitive to static, thus less mess
- It lasts forever!

Bad
- NOT as shiny as the corncob even with same amount of tumbling time as the corncob. It has a dull shine to the brass.
- Walnut media gets stuck in the primer flash hole
- Very dusty at first, but it goes away after a while as the dust sticks to the used dryer sheets

loneranger04
11-13-2012, 10:09 AM
I bought some .223 brass that a guy had used the stainless steel and soap and the brass really does look brand new but I'm not going to spend that kind of money although like BA said, "only buy it once".

Mike Vegas
11-13-2012, 08:27 PM
I bought some .223 brass that a guy had used the stainless steel and soap and the brass really does look brand new but I'm not going to spend that kind of money although like BA said, "only buy it once".

I actually own a Thumler Tumbler also and they do clean the nastiest brass you can throw in it. But here's some of the issues I have. I tumbled 338 Lapua Magnum brass, 30-06, 6.5 CM and even .223/5.56 and if you have the brass chamfered and deburred, the brass gets banged up against each other and the case mouth as the mouth of the case curls and shortens the brass by .01" it takes longer to clean the brass. Tumble the brass, decap, tumble in ss media. Too much work.

But its great for cleaning the surplus brass for the first time and all the nasty range brass you picked up. It is perfect for all pistol brass as well as the pistol brass don't need to be chamfered or deburred. Drying the cases are easy, all it need is a big cotton towel. Dump the brass in the middle of the towel, after removing as much excess water as possible and shake em like how you shine a bowling ball. Lay them all flat using a microfiber cloth, do a quick wipe down as you are spreading the brass evenly on the towel. Depending on the humidity of your location, mine drys out in 1 hour or less during the summer.