PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Sagging Savage 99 stocks

herath
11-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Occasionally, we see the butt stock with a gap where it has sagged and a gap shows at the top of the receiver -stock junction.Can this be corrected by bending of the stock bolt ?

Jeff518
11-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Bending the bolt is not recommended, I would imagine the wobble associated with screwing it in or out will cause more undesirable, or even dangerous sloppiness. You may have a mis-matched stock (not factory original) that is not inlet properly for your receiver, or your gun has taken some amount of (over)use to beat the tang seating out of shape. The wood around the bottom tang (that the bolt threads into) is the likely culprit, often abuse shows up as a crack behind the top tang though. Ultimately the solution will be to retool the inletting so it fits properly. With 99's a little bit of change to the wood will make a big difference in the fit, so go slowly.

herath
11-10-2012, 01:34 AM
Checked stock once bolt removed.Bolt wasn't bent.All serial #'s match on stock,receiver, even metal bp.Wood fit at receiver bottom but not top.May refit,I have inletting experience from muzzeloader building and refitting other stocks.If I refit, will be careful to not allow stock to interfere with sear;could cause an unsafe condition.