PDA

View Full Version : Issue with 6.5x47 Lapua brass

gander99
11-07-2012, 02:54 PM
I asked this on another forum that tends to follow this round closer, but haven't had any response. I was hoping one of you guys might have seen this before.

I recently converted a Savage 12 LRP rifle from 243 to 6.5x47 Lapua (did the go/no-go gauge and everything went according to plan). Since there is no brass in the country right now (or at least a couple weeks ago), I bought 40 rounds of Lapua 123 gr ammo. I took it to the range and it shot great. New barrell, bad shooter, factory ammo and I was grouping (5 shot groups) < 0.4 inches (not bad for me).

I took the brass home and went to start reloading. I had read that a 0.308 shellholder would work. My brass wouldn't fit. hmm. I didn't think much about and figured I just had the wrong size. I did research and confirmed it should be the same as a 308. Here is where it gets interesting.

I took a factory round and it would fit in my 308 shellholder but just barely. It was tight and would not go all the way in without excessive force. My fired brass would not go in at all. I checked the dimensions of brass just above the head and they were the same. However, the indention of the brass just above the head (sorry, I am not sure what it is called) had swelled in the fired brass by about 0.015". Therefore, no way to fit in my shellholder. I happen to be using Lee shellholders, but I am pretty sure I will run into the same issue with other brands. I am going to pick up an RCBS shellholder probably tomorrow or the weekend.

Have you guys run into this before. While I don't have tons of experience, I have been reloading for about 10 years with about 8 calibers and never ran across this. I figure if all else fails, I can carefully dremel a shellholder out or possibly apply lapping compound to a piece of brass and try to increase the shellholder size. I have never seen brass flow in this area.

nubrun
11-07-2012, 03:25 PM
I have some once fired 6.5x47 cases at home, I'll give them a try in the RCBS shell holder (same as .308) tonight.

The case head expansion may or may not be a big deal, I wish I had my notes handy but I know that the unfired brass will expand a bit to fit the chamber, but that seems like an awful lot. I'll look at my measurements as well. Hopefully it is just a tight shell holder.

BTW I had the same experience as you with the accuracy of the cartridge. I'm a n00b rifle shooter and with a bipod and rear bag I was able to group under half inch at 100 yards consistently.

82boy
11-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Some shell holders are a bit on the thin side of things, the rim could be a bit ticker on the brass causing this. Try a different brand of shell holder, and I bet your problem goes away.

nubrun
11-07-2012, 10:27 PM
I just checked my once fired cases, and they go into the rcbs shell holder with no problem, even ones that I have fired a real stout charge from.

"had swelled in the fired brass by about 0.015" - I checked my measurements and my cases grew approximately 0.0016" as measured near the pressure ring with micrometers. New unfired cases ran 0.4690", with once fired cases ranging from around 0.4701" with a moderate charge and going to 0.4706" with a stout charge of varget.

sharpshooter
11-08-2012, 12:23 AM
I had the same problem with Lee shell holders. It seems Lapua brass is closer to nominal size than other brands. Most brass is commonly undersize, and the makers of dies and shell holders are compensating for the difference. I opened the shell holder with a dremel and thought no more about it.

gander99
11-08-2012, 11:14 AM
thanks. I started with the dremel last night. I am about 0.005" away from the case going in. I'll finish it up tonight. I will probably go buy another shellholder (RCBS) this weekend just to see.

Greg

nubrun
11-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Since there is no brass in the country right now (or at least a couple weeks ago), I bought 40 rounds of Lapua 123 gr ammo.

I just checked around and Grafs and Gunstop both have the brass in stock now. I went ahead and ordered a few more boxes so I don't get caught in another shortage.

frank1947
11-20-2012, 11:07 PM
the new redding shell holder will solve that problem rcbs and lee didnt work for me on my 6.5x47 and my .260