PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Mark II FVSR failure to extract

mstarling
11-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Guys,

I have a new Mark II FVSR. Have a Kestrel can attached. Am seeing failure to extract w the original 5 rnds magazine and a Savage 10 rnd mag about half the time or a little more. Drop the mag and cycle the bolt again and it does come out and ejects smartly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

JCalhoun
11-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Can shouldn't have anything to do with extraction. The Savage magazines are just simple stampings and usually require some tweeking with needle nose pliers to work just right. If that doesn't work contact Savage.

thomae
11-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Perhaps this might help?
http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?147-Mark-II-Weak-Magazine-Spring-Fix

mstarling
11-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Having trouble with the idea that the magazine spring has an impact on extraction. When I open the bolt and pull it back, the spent is left in the chamber.

thomae
11-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Perhaps you could pull the extractors out and clean them. Perhaps they are gunked up? Polishing the sides (the surfaces that rub) until they are smooth and shiny can't hurt operations either.

JCalhoun
11-15-2012, 12:30 AM
A lot of Savage rimfires have extraction issues. Contact Savage before you start messing with the rifle.

GSRswapandslow
11-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Just clean your chamber.....most likely you've shot different kinds of ammo in it...when you shoot rounds that run loose...they let carbon/powder push back into the chamber...then you load a round that's a tiny bit tighter and it sticks. This is all exacerbated due to the can.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

SlimySquirrel
11-19-2012, 02:36 AM
Just had a similar issue with my FVSS.

Check the tension on the claws with your fingers... my right side was a touch floppy so we removed the "C" clamp holding the Claws in place and gave it a little squeeze to tighten things up.. Hey Presto...

jpdown
11-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Start by cleaning the chamber with a bore brush as already suggested. That usually solves the problem. If not, send it back to Savage so you don't void your warranty. The other common problem is misfires. They can address both the issues.