PDA

View Full Version : Question about Savage 11 .308 Box magazine falling out?

Mrcalamiteh
11-07-2012, 02:57 AM
Hey, i'm a new member here and I'm almost certain i'm picking up a Savage 11 in .308 on friday from Gander mountain - The package with the bushnell scope. I was wondering how common the issue of the DBM dropping from the rifle is. I really like the feel of the rifle and all, and I've seen some great reviews, but it'd be a real turn off for that magazine to fall out after every shot. Also - is there a way to fix it? even if it involved keeping the mag in the gun, and making me have to top load it, I would be interested. (Definitely not doing duct tape) Thanks in advance for all of your answers =]

RatMag
11-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Having the magazine drop from the rifle during recoil, is not as common as people think. The spring tension of the front release lever is the culprit. I have had 1 spring that seemed a bit weak, so I modified it to add more tension... problem solved. I have had a couple of other people comment about my magazines falling out during recoil when they have the 15 and 17 rounders. Adding tension to the spring has solved this issue.

DK

RatMag
11-07-2012, 10:34 AM
You may also want to check the angle of the rear tab as well. The magazine requires a slight angle to the rear of the magazine body, and not straight up and down. I always have to check this, as the holes in the rear of the magazine body make it a weak point.

DK

Mrcalamiteh
11-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks for your response, RatMag. =]

RatMag
11-07-2012, 05:33 PM
No problem.

DK

back40
11-08-2012, 01:10 AM
You could always get a different model with a hinged floor plate.

Biggred191
11-09-2012, 12:38 AM
I picked up the same package for my first rifle. I have put about 100 rds through it with no problems. The magazine feels very secure.

Good info, thanks guys.