PDA

View Full Version : Equipment recommendation

tropicmaster
12-30-2009, 07:07 PM
I posted this question 3 months ago, and got some fantastic advice, esp from Terrier. Since then however my needs have changed so I am going to rephrase the question. I need an entry level reloading set up for rifle and pistol. My original post was for rifle only, but since then both my wife and I have obtained a concealed carry permit along with several pistols. So now in addition to loading for accuracy for my rifles, I will need to load for a fair amount of volume in pistol ammo. We are both shooters and have no problems getting through 3-400 pistol rounds each on a range trip. Can one set up do both, or do I need a progressive for the pistol, and the originally recommended stuff for my rifle loading? I finally have 2 rifles built, and have reloaded my fun money to where I am ready to buy reloading equipment.

Thanks!

Solothurn
12-30-2009, 07:52 PM
I started reloading for rifle and pistol rounds with a Lee turret press. It is a good compromise for price and speed.

My current set-up is a Redding single-stage press for rifle and a Dillon Square Deal for pistol.

I want a Dillon 650.

sharpshooter
12-30-2009, 10:21 PM
Most guys starting out buy the cheap stuff and end up upgrading to a good press. Spend a little more money and cry once. Everybody needs to cut their teeth on a good sturdy cast iron "O" frame press. RCBS rockchucker,
Redding boss, and many others. The RCBS rockchucker can be set up with a "piggy back" kit to make it a progressive for pistol ammo. You'll never wear this one out.

laportecharlie
12-30-2009, 10:25 PM
And if you do wear it out, RCBS will fix it for nothing.
Charlie

dcloco
12-30-2009, 11:45 PM
For single stage presses, two Rockchuckers and one Forster CoAx are attached to the bench. The Forster is used for single stage operations 95% of the time. NO shell holders required. Set the dies once - remove and replace as quick as you can grab them. Plenty of leverage for any type of sizing, including full length sizing the big RUM or Mag cases. Forgot to add, by the time you buy shell holders, the money you saved initially, did not occur, because you had to keep buying shell holders.

For the volume of pistol reloading you do, I would highly recommend the Dillon 550B. Use the Dillon pistol dies - they are the best, period (even if you don't buy a Dillon setup). When comparing costs to the Hornady progressive, it will be close to the same, but overall, the Dillon is better... IMHO.

FYI - you do not need a 650 Dillon to crank out a high volume of rounds either....just a friend (maybe your wife?) to help with feeding the 550B. I can easily crank out HIGH quality pistol rounds at the rate of 1000 per hour, by just having my helper feed the bullets while I handle inserting the spent case and pulling the handle. Once I learned this trick, I only spend an hour or two every three months to stock up on various pistol rounds.

For what it is worth, I have owned or used most of the other brands out there. NOT putting this info out because I own it...but because I have tried the others...and bought the above listed.

Nor Cal Mikie
12-31-2009, 12:31 AM
You don't need to start off with a Co Ax. Get a "good" single stage press for starters. You can add to the "list" later. Get your feet wet and learn as you go.
Like Sharpshooter (Fred) mentioned, a RCBS Rockchucker can't be beat. Lifetime warranty and a good piece of equipment. I load 38,375 Mag, 9MM and 44 Mag on mine as well as .221 Fireball, .223,.308 30.06, 22 and 6 BR. It would probably outlast you. ;)