PDA

View Full Version : Cabela's exclusive long range model 112

Texas Builder
11-06-2012, 06:46 PM
I just recently bought a model 112, chambered in 6.5 x 284 with this description:

Savage Arms Long-Range Stainless Fluted Barrel Rifle

Cabela’s-exclusive 24" fluted stainless steel barrel
Adjustable AccuTrigger
AccuStock bedding

Since it isn't a normal model, I can't get much info on it. It is centerfeed with a hinged floorplate. A real good-looking gun.

It is my first accustock.

Mounted bases, rings and a scope I know to be good. Began the barrel break-in process and consistently shot 5"+ groups at 100 yards with first box of shells. Always grouping on the same, diagonal line - some high and left, some low and right.

Re-installed bases, rings and scope. Checked torque on action screws. Now 4"+ groups, but low and left to high and right.

Shooting HSM with 140 gr Bergers, because that's the only ammo that was available. I will reload for it, but of course want to get it shooting well before i start load development.

Any ideas as to what would be causing such a big shift in point of impact? My thought is maybe I have a real finicky accustock, and need to try and tune it a bit more. But all the info on tuning the accustock seems to be on the older version of it with the wedge.

Any helpful advice is appreciated.

stomp442
11-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Check to make sure the barrel and tang are free floated. Also shoot the Bergers at 200 yards as they can be finicky at 100, they tend to need s bit more time to stabilize especially those long 6.5s

jim_k
11-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Take the action out and see if it's making good contact at all the intended contact points on the stock's bedding block, and that the action screws are tight. If contact is not perfect, get it bedded.
Jim

Savage13
11-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Posted this on the other post you made on this subject, you did reply there but just saw this one so I put it here as well.

It's the ammo. I have a Savage 10 in . 308 and when I first got it I picked up some BHA match 168s and some HSM 168 loaded with the Bergers. The HSM did exactly the same thing that you are describing. I later found out that Bergers are VERY sensitive to the distance from the lands they sit. I later loaded some 168 Bergers in the HSM brass and fiddled with OAL from the o give and got really good groups out of them. If it was me I would NOT worry about your gun.

Did you go out and shoot some reloads after that old post? If you have then I would check the crown by rubbing a Q tip on in and around it to see if anything catches on it. Also as mentioned the Bergers can be a lil wonky at close range. They also perform drastically differently based on OAL. To be honest and this is just MY OPINION I find it supprising the Bergers are even loaded in factory ammo mostly due to how variable they can be based on OAL.

Hope that all this helps you out.