PDA

View Full Version : Cabela

Texas Builder
11-06-2012, 06:44 PM
I just recently bought a model 112, chambered in 6.5 x 284 with this description:

Savage Arms Long-Range Stainless Fluted Barrel Rifle

Cabela’s-exclusive 24" fluted stainless steel barrel
Adjustable AccuTrigger
AccuStock bedding

Since it isn't a normal model, I can't get much info on it. It is centerfeed with a hinged floorplate. A real good-looking gun.

It is my first accustock.

Mounted bases, rings and a scope I know to be good. Began the barrel break-in process and consistently shot 5"+ groups at 100 yards with first box of shells. Always grouping on the same, diagonal line - some high and left, some low and right.

Re-installed bases, rings and scope. Checked torque on action screws. Now 4"+ groups, but low and left to high and right.

Shooting HSM with 140 gr Bergers, because that's the only ammo that was available. I will reload for it, but of course want to get it shooting well before i start load development.

Any ideas as to what would be causing such a big shift in point of impact? My thought is maybe I have a real finicky accustock, and need to try and tune it a bit more. But all the info on tuning the accustock seems to be on the older version of it with the wedge.

Any helpful advice is appreciated.

Savage13
11-07-2012, 12:43 PM
its the ammo. I have a Savage 10 in . 308 and when i first got it I picked up some BHA match 168s and some HSM 168 loaded with the Bergers. The HSM did exactly the same thing that you are describing. I later found out that Bergers are VERY sensitive to the distance from the lands they sit. I later loaded some 168 Bergers in the HSM brass and fiddled with OAL from the o give and got really good groups out of them. If it was me I would NOT worry about your gun.

Texas Builder
11-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the info on the Berger bullets. That makes sense. I was hoping I didn't have the one Savage out of a thousand that won't shoot.