PDA

View Full Version : Savage 220: model 220 slug gun

rjtfroggy
11-06-2012, 06:08 PM
So far I have tried 5 different brands of slugs from my 220 and here are my findings.
Remington copper solids 1 inch group @100 yards (4 shots)
Winchester hollow point sabots around 4 inches @ 100
Hornady SST forget it (I knew I didn't like plastic tipped bullets
Federal fussion again forget it looked more like buck shot
and Winchester X solid lead slug around 5 inches
As much as I hate it I will be using the copper solids at $18 a box for this season. Now these are all 2 3/4 inch shells and Savage recommends the 3" but my shoulder and back say no magnums and at 60 I am listening to my body for a change.
Just about any shot here in Ct. will be under 75 yards so if I am lucky enough to see a deer I am pretty sure I will get it.Season opens Nov. 14 runs for 9 days so I hope to put one in the freezer.

Westcliffe01
11-06-2012, 06:50 PM
I got much better accuracy from the SST's and that is what I am and will be shooting. I will say that nothing I shot got a 1" group, but that could also be down to only having 6x scope where on my other rifles I shoot a 12x or 16x and get 0.5MOA groups.

M.O.A.
11-07-2012, 03:23 AM
guys 1" group at 100 yards is pretty good for a slug gun its not a rifle its a slug gun you cant ask of submoa out of it. ;-}

rjtfroggy
11-07-2012, 07:19 AM
Moa I wasn't looking for better groups, and was surprized by the 1" with the Rems copper solid.
I was hoping for better with the Winchester sabots or the SST because they are half the price.I will wait until the end of season sale at Dick's and stock up on them.

M.O.A.
11-07-2012, 04:29 PM
oh ok i gotcha did you try any of the foster slugs like rem sluggers or the K.O.s

rjtfroggy
11-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Tried 1 federal foster style and it was off the paper and the wins. were at or more than 5" definately not acceptable.

Westcliffe01
11-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Froggy, did you read the "reported" muzzle velocity on each box to compare, and did you also compare the weight of the bullets themselves ? There can be a significant difference in bullet drop at 100 yards between different products. Therefore, for initial trials, shoot at 50 and use a large enough piece of paper to capture all the different elevations. Some of the more bluff bullets will bleed off more speed and be dropping faster at 100 yards, so it is best to see how it groups at a shorter range first. Then ideally zero for about 75 yards and know the drop from there on out. If you zero at 100 yards, you will be about 2.5" high if not more at 50-75 yards, I experienced that. Fortunately for me, that became a spine shot but if I had aimed any higher it could have been a miss or worse.

Many shoot the Hornady SST's and have no problem with grouping. I probably got a 2" group which is good enough for putting meat in the freezer until I can get things working better. I also shot the other plastic tipped bullet (Remington ?) and performed almost identical and had the same bullet weight.

M.O.A.
11-08-2012, 03:05 AM
just for kicks i would get a box of brenneke K.O.s at like $5 bucks a box it might be worth tring i shot them ot of all my slug guns and they are great. my 870 rifled slug gun loves them printing just over 1" at 100

rjtfroggy
11-08-2012, 07:17 AM
Westcliffe I always start at 50 yards just to be sure I'm on paper(way I was taught). The fps on the boxes were stated at 1600 and estimated trajectory is +1"@50,0@100 and -2.5@150 IIRC but those numbers did not even come close in the real world, closer to + 3 @50 and 0@ 100 which was more like what I was expecting. The winchester sabots are shootable but I would prefer a little better accuracy, the Hornady on the other hand I in good concience(sp) would not be able to use. I had the same results years ago when I tried this style bullet in my muzzle loader, was a 1 1/4" gun with hollow points and a 5" gun with the plastic tipped. When that happened I thought the tip was being deformed while loading, but after unloading by hand found that not to be true.

Moa if I can find some after the season I will give them a try, just not to sure how the foster style will shoot through a rifled barrel.

M.O.A.
11-08-2012, 03:05 PM
all my slug guns have been rifled ;-} brenneke makes some top notch slugs as do lightfeild

woodsman416
11-08-2012, 03:11 PM
The Remmy Accutips shoot great out of mine. I've shot both 2 3/4" and 3" I was going to try some Lightfields. My friends all shoot them out of thier H&Rs and love them. Anyone have any feedback on Lightfields out of 220s?

M.O.A.
11-08-2012, 03:20 PM
not out of the 220 but my 870 and benellis love them its just the brenneke K.O.s are half the price ;-}

tyler.woodard04
11-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Tried the 3" ones. Ok at 50 not at 100

rjtfroggy
11-08-2012, 06:22 PM
I went out and scouted a new area yesterday and from the spot I picked I actually have a few shots that may go over 80 yards. It is a spot that is sparsely covered with oaks surrounded by tall pines and laurel,3 stone walls running through and around with a ravine and brook to one side. State land with hardly any hunters bordered by Army corp of enginers land on the side for entry and private " NO HUNTING " on top of hill and to other side. My neighbor has been hunting part of this for a few years, so we will probably hunt together but the best part is it is only 15 minutes from home.
After coming home I decided that either the copper solids or the winchester sabots will do. After the season I will look for other slugs and hopefully find what this gun truely likes, I may even venture into the 3" slugs.

EFBell
11-09-2012, 12:29 PM
The beauty of the 220F is that it can will make the most of the premium slugs. The price is not so high when you consistently have one shot kills. Make the most of the 220F and go with the flattest shooting slug you can get your hands on.

Opinions may vary but my wife say's I'm always right. I like that about her...