PDA

View Full Version : Swapping accutrigger spring

zenith
11-04-2012, 04:35 PM
I've been searching all over and cant seem to find any direction on this one.

Working on my first savage build, Mr. Briggs has set me up real nice with just about everything i could want (in stock too, it was amazing)

I've installed my barrel/lug/precisiion nut no problem. I've sanded the factory stock to accommodate my new bull barrel (temporarily til my XLR arrives), installed my new oversized bolt handle, and all in all its been a smooth build.

However, i have the 1½ trigger spring sitting here in its bag mocking me. I'm just not sure how to disassemble the trigger mechanism. My current theory is to back off the adjustable return spring as far as it will go, then slide off the retainer c-clip off of the pin in the center of the mechanism. Thinking the mechanism would rock far enough for me to swap out the return springs. Was hoping someone can confirm this is correct, or point me in the right direction. Any information on potential spring based projectile hazards is most appreciated.

Additionally if i do need to slide off that c-clip, whats the best practice for doing so? I've been entertaining the idea of grinding a notch the size of the pin into a flathead screwdriver.

Bigfoot
11-04-2012, 05:05 PM
There's very little spring tension, don't worry little parts aren't going to fly across the room.

1 Push or pull the circlip off. Use a small screwdriver or anything sharp and pry from the rear or push it out from the front w a larger screwdriver.

2 Don't lose it.

3 Pull the pin.

4 Don't lose it.

5 Screw out the old spring.

Nothin to it.

RatMag
11-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Nice description Bigfoot... simple and to the point, but effective advice.

DK

zenith
11-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Sat down, did it, easy as pie. And the trigger feels so much better.

Thanks so much!

northlander
11-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Zenith,
Make sure you put the spring tip into the very small hole in the receiver. That will keep the spring in alignment and give you more uniform spring tension.

Jim Briggs
NSS

Ranger3
11-04-2012, 09:37 PM
So in this process are you changing the accutrigger from the standard 2 1/2 lb to the Varmint 1 1/2 pull and if so where did you get the spring??? I want to do that on my 204 as it's a bench/bipod gun only and it would be so nice to have a lighter trigger.

jpdown
11-04-2012, 09:55 PM
I order mine from Sharp Shooter Supply (SSS). Not sure who else stocks the lighter varmint Accutrigger spring.

drybean
11-04-2012, 10:18 PM
the best thing to do is find a gunsmith to order you a target sear

drybean

zenith
11-04-2012, 11:36 PM
My spring came from Northland Shooter Supply