PDA

View Full Version : How to convert to a detach magazine rifle?

KTP
11-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Folks,
I'm interested in building a new hunting rifle and would like to make one with a detach magazine. I've built plenty on long and short actions but never a detach.
What's it take and who makes the best components? Short or long as I'm undecided on caliber or stock.
All suggestions appreciated.

helotaxi
11-04-2012, 09:24 AM
You need a stock with the proper inlet for the bottom metal. Then you need the bottom metal itself. CDI makes good bottom metal and it takes Accuracy International mags. The one problem with going that route is that the magazine will stick down well below the stock. If you can find a factory bottom plate for a detachable mag and the mag, you can go that route as well. Still need a stock with the proper inlet.

KTP
11-04-2012, 01:43 PM
What models come from the factory with proper bottom plate? Were any of the 110 series or 10 series made that way? I've never studied this before.
Thanks.

helotaxi
11-04-2012, 03:33 PM
The Trophy Hunter and Lightweight Hunter come with a polymer bottom plate. All the other DBM models have a metal bottom plate.

John_M
11-04-2012, 05:15 PM
LRPut, Last year I conveted my new model 10 in .223 Rem from an internal magazne to a detachable box magazine (DBM) and purchased all parts from Savage. Needed a new stock, all new bottom metal, new DBM and, if memory serves me well, three new screws for the bottom metal. The new stock, which fit perfectly, was H-S Precision. The change from internal magazine to DBM went without a hitch and the rifle shoots like a champ.

Purchasing directly from Savage probably costs a little more, but it eliminates the potential confusion of purchsaing various parts from different vendors and hoping they all fit properly. I spoke with a woman in Savage customer service. She knew exactly what I needed, was very polite, and quite knowledgeable. She had all parts shipped within one day. Her helpfulness made the change from an internal magazine to the DBM a successful and pleasant experience.

Good luck with your decision.:cool:

KTP
11-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Thank you John. Great info! Yours was a centerfeed?

stangfish
11-04-2012, 11:07 PM
another good thing about the savage bottom metal is if you do decide you want more than 4 rds, SSS can get you a bigger one that snaps right in.

mbkmkk
11-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Anyone gone from internal blind magazine to the Choate Tactical Stock with Detachable Magazine?

Do I need all the bottom metal?

John_M
11-06-2012, 05:27 PM
LRPut, Sorry I am so tardy in responding. My internal box magazine was the "stagger feed" type. The cartridges stacked slightly offset from each other, if that makes any sense. The Detachable Box Magazine seems to have the cartridges stacked in like manner.

Good luck!

helotaxi
11-06-2012, 06:46 PM
The cartridges might stack side to side, but with the newer models, the top round in the mag is centered in the action rather than being off to either side.