PDA

View Full Version : .223 cartridges won't feed/chamber

outdoorfan
12-30-2009, 01:34 PM
I have a .223 that I put together using an Stevens barrel on an action that was originally a part of a .204 barreled action from the factory. I haven't made any modifications other than the barrel change. Anyway, the nose of the bullets (flat noses) catch the sides of the rear of the barrel when trying to chamber.

Is there a simple mod I can do to make it work?

I took a picture, but I don't know how to upload to this posting.

dfrosch
12-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Here's some help on posting pics:

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,3598.0.html

Your mag probably just needs the feed lips tweaked a little.

82boy
12-30-2009, 02:37 PM
This is a common problem, and the way I would fix it is have a gunsmith cut a AR15 style feed cone in the back of the barrel. It will chamber if you use a pointed bullet like a Hornady v-max, or a Sierra blitz king.

outdoorfan
01-06-2010, 12:07 AM
I spent some time with it today, and I tweaked the mag lips. Didn't help much. So then I used some plumber's putty to build up the ramp a little, and that almost did the trick. However, the nose of these bullets are still catching the bottom side of the rear of the barrel. When I say "bottom" I mean just south of the opening. I just need a little bit more, so I thought I could pull the barrel and file a ramp in the barrel where it's catching. Before I do that, however, I want to double check that this procedure won't cause any safety issues? I'm pretty sure it won't but just want to make sure.

What do you think?

kslefty
01-06-2010, 12:12 AM
Try a ballistic tip bullet of any variety or have someone cut a feed cone onto the end of your barrel. This is much neater and would allow the barrel to be used on any other action not just yours. Filing a slot is way too crude for my tastes and most others I would guess.

outdoorfan
01-06-2010, 12:30 AM
I shoot cast in this, so the bullets are what they are. As to the feedcone, I can't picture what that looks like. And how much would that cost?

The asthetics don't bother me. This is a cheap gun with a cheap barrel. I just want confirmation that filing it will be okay. Sounds like it might be.

ellobo
01-06-2010, 02:27 AM
A feed cone is like putting a chamfer around the chamber opening in the barrel. Filing a ramp would be like chamfereing just the bottom of the chamber opening.

El Lobo

dfrosch
01-06-2010, 07:34 AM
There's a pic in this thread...

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,20840.0.html

outdoorfan
01-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Ok, thanks. I see now.

Smokepole
01-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Sure does leave a lot more of the case head unsupported. But, I guess no more than an AR15. Case head support is one of the selling features of the Savage breech though.

outdoorfan
01-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Well, I took the barrel off and got the drill out. Some do-it-yourself redneck effort produced a feed ramp that works flawlessly now. I had to readjust the mag lips and take some pressure off the spring, but now it feeds all five rounds like cake. Thanks for all your help. BTW, I won't be running maximum pressures, so I hope the reliability and decent case life is still good to go.