PDA

View Full Version : Scope for my .270

NC_Pitbull27
11-04-2012, 01:31 AM
I have a Savage model 110 .270 and I'm looking to update the scope. Just wanting to get some opinions out there to see what you all think. I will mainly be hunting whitetail. I was looking at the 3-9x40 but I do like the x50 as well. Not looking to break the bank just want something reliable. What's your thoughts.

Mach2
11-04-2012, 02:17 AM
I have a Sightron S1 3-9x-50 on my 270. Around $200. I have 3-9x-40s on my other centerfires. Nikon is nice as well as durable but I love the Sightrons. You can go the Sightron S2 route and get fancier optics but $200 fit my pocket better than $350.
BTW I dont see the point of a 50mm scope. If you cant see it with a 40mm it must be night time.

LHitchcox
11-04-2012, 08:03 AM
I don not like 50 mm scopes. They sit too high above the comb and I have an inconsistent cheek weld. My groups enlarge with a 50mm scope, so I just get better glass with a 40mm and shoot better.

fgw_in_fla
11-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Nikon Prostaff series is a nice scope. Walmart carries them for about 2 beans. I got a 4-12x Prostaff from Walmart for a bean 80. It was on sale that day.
I like the Vortex products as well. Especially the warranty. You don't really think about or appreciate a good warranty until you need it. Then, when you find out a 6 month old scope has to go back for repair & YOU pay the shipping & YOU send $15 for return shipping & YOU get to wait 2 months..... Get the picture?
Hi dollar or coke bottle bottom glass, I look at warranty as much as the scope. It's one of those things you learn the hard way.
Good luck with your selection.
Frank in Fla

helotaxi
11-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Track down a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40. They go for $199 and are arguably the best scope in that price range. If you look at the online flier for Natchez Shooter's Supply, they currently have them on closeout with the Firefly Reticule for $169 and that includes flip up lens covers. The "Bone Collector" version with their ballistic reticule is $199. I'd take either of those over the Prostaff (which isn't a bad scope at all) any day of the week.

If you're not familiar with the Firefly reticule, it's a luminescent reticule that you "charge" with a flashlight for a few minutes and it will glow for a couple hours. It's a heavy plex design and the outer bars are pretty thick but the center section is very fine so it doesn't obscure the target.

jonbearman
11-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Why not one of the redfield revolution in 3-9 or 4-12x40. Either is supposed to be made here.The revenge series is made in the philipines.

helotaxi
11-04-2012, 10:23 AM
The Revenge series is made in China, actually. The Revolution series is assembled here from parts made elsewhere. The Bushnell Elites are made in Japan.

r3dn3ck
11-04-2012, 10:34 AM
another vote for the bushnell elites. Great scopes at a good price point

NC_Pitbull27
11-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks for all your advice. I had been looking at the the Prostaff series and the bushnell lines so its good to know that I have been looking at some that are decent And in the price range I was looking at

stangfish
11-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Many of the scope manufactureres have low end and high end lines. I say this realizing that many people can't afford a high end or middle range scope. If your scope gets bumped, rides in a jeep or ATV and you want to be able to make good shot placement then the minimum is Bushnell Elite, Nikon Monarch, Sightron SII or SII Big Sky, Leupold VX3, Zeiss Conquest and others that can be had under 400. Years of field experience tell me that being cheap on optics is one of theose lessons you don't forget. I cant tell you haw many times I have seen missed or gut shot deer from a budget scope. It is just not worth it to not spend the 100-200 dollars more for something that has a meaningful warranty* and will give you 20 years of good service. 10 years ago some of the cheapest lines where made in Japan or USA and were good scopes. This is not true anymore. It makes no sense to put 99 dollar glass on a 500 dollar gun. I am glad to see that you are taking careful consideration on optics.

*Meaningful warranty- A lifetime warranty is worthless if it fails in the field first time out.

stangfish
11-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Sightron Sii Big Sky 229 after Rebate (research this scope. This is a freaking deal)
http://swfa.com/Sightron-3-9x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9155.aspx

As is this 3.5-10
http://swfa.com/Sightron-35-10x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9159.aspx

And this one with the 50mm objective Ask around, for under 300 shipped this scope is hard to beat if that is even possible for a new scope.
http://swfa.com/Sightron-35-10x50-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9160.aspx

The $100rebates end at the end of December. They also have the SII's that come with a $50 rebate.

NC_Pitbull27
11-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Sightron Sii Big Sky 229 after Rebate (research this scope. This is a freaking deal)
http://swfa.com/Sightron-3-9x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9155.aspx

As is this 3.5-10
http://swfa.com/Sightron-35-10x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9159.aspx

And this one with the 50mm objective Ask around, for under 300 shipped this scope is hard to beat if hat is even possible for a new scope.
http://swfa.com/Sightron-35-10x50-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9160.aspx

The $100rebates end at the end of December. The y also have the SII's that come with a $50 rebate.

Thanks for the info. I just want to make sure that what I put on this gun will stay true and can handle the day to day operation of going in and out of the woods.

ellobo
11-04-2012, 06:31 PM
[QUOTE=stangfish;146212]Many of the scope manufactureres have low end and high end lines. I say this realizing that many people can't afford a high end or middle range scope. If your scope gets bumped, rides in a jeep or ATV and you want to be able to make good shot placement then the minimum is Bushnell Elite, Nikon Monarch, Sightron SII or SII Big Sky, Leupold VX3, Zeiss Conquest and others that can be had under 400. Years of field experience tell me that being cheap on optics is one of theose lessons you don't forget. I cant tell you haw many times I have seen missed or gut shot deer from a budget scope. It is just not worth it to not spend the 100-200 dollars more for something that has a meaningful warranty* and will give you 20 years of good service. 10 years ago some of the cheapest lines where made in Japan or USA and were good scopes. This is not true anymore. It makes no sense to put 99 dollar glass on a 500 dollar gun. I am glad to see that you are taking careful consideration on optics.

Two things not discussed very often when talking scopes concerns tightening torque and fixed power scopes. Some years back I talked to rep from one of the big scope makers while researching an article and here are the two things he told me that stuck in my feeble mind. One, most of the repairs they do are to scopes that have aluminum tubes and when mounted are way over torqued which distorts the tube and damages the internals. The second thing he said was that fixed power scopes are much more rugged and less likely to get damaged than variable power scope. This makes sense as there are many more delicate parts in a variable power scope that can sustain damage. I have two fixed power,steel tube 40+ yr old Weavers, a K-4 and a K-6. The K-4 sits on my most often used hunting rifle and the K-6 is used when working up loads. Neither one has ever caused a problem and are spot on. I hunt in the heavy woodlands of northern New England where the majority of shots are well under 100 yards. I definately do not need a variable power scope and those that I do have sit on rifles with the lowest power setting. My suggestion is that if you have hunting conditions that do not require more than 4X power for good shots then that is what you need. They are cheaper and more rugged. And if you hunt in shotgun territory only even 4X may be too much. So, evaluate your real needs and buy accordingly.

El Lobo

big honkin jeep
11-04-2012, 09:01 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned the Burris E1s. I have many of The optics mentioned in this thread but in my opinion the Burris E1 is by far at the top of the heap. There is also a $50 rebate on em. Big supply shop has a very good price.

NC_Pitbull27
11-04-2012, 10:19 PM
[QUOTE=stangfish;146212]Many of the scope manufactureres have low end and high end lines. I say this realizing that many people can't afford a high end or middle range scope. If your scope gets bumped, rides in a jeep or ATV and you want to be able to make good shot placement then the minimum is Bushnell Elite, Nikon Monarch, Sightron SII or SII Big Sky, Leupold VX3, Zeiss Conquest and others that can be had under 400. Years of field experience tell me that being cheap on optics is one of theose lessons you don't forget. I cant tell you haw many times I have seen missed or gut shot deer from a budget scope. It is just not worth it to not spend the 100-200 dollars more for something that has a meaningful warranty* and will give you 20 years of good service. 10 years ago some of the cheapest lines where made in Japan or USA and were good scopes. This is not true anymore. It makes no sense to put 99 dollar glass on a 500 dollar gun. I am glad to see that you are taking careful consideration on optics.

Two things not discussed very often when talking scopes concerns tightening torque and fixed power scopes. Some years back I talked to rep from one of the big scope makers while researching an article and here are the two things he told me that stuck in my feeble mind. One, most of the repairs they do are to scopes that have aluminum tubes and when mounted are way over torqued which distorts the tube and damages the internals. The second thing he said was that fixed power scopes are much more rugged and less likely to get damaged than variable power scope. This makes sense as there are many more delicate parts in a variable power scope that can sustain damage. I have two fixed power,steel tube 40+ yr old Weavers, a K-4 and a K-6. The K-4 sits on my most often used hunting rifle and the K-6 is used when working up loads. Neither one has ever caused a problem and are spot on. I hunt in the heavy woodlands of northern New England where the majority of shots are well under 100 yards. I definately do not need a variable power scope and those that I do have sit on rifles with the lowest power setting. My suggestion is that if you have hunting conditions that do not require more than 4X power for good shots then that is what you need. They are cheaper and more rugged. And if you hunt in shotgun territory only even 4X may be too much. So, evaluate your real needs and buy accordingly.

El Lobo

Where I hunt here in NC I could have a shot from 50-500 yards at any given day. we have a lot of wind rows in the land we leased so I never know where the target is going to walk out on any given day.

back40
11-05-2012, 07:14 AM
I have a Bushnell Elite and for hunting in the south, southeast it works very well. It's not as good as my VXIII but I didn't pay that much for it. Bushnell sometimes has a rebate so if you go that route check on it. $200.00