PDA

View Full Version : Some Savage 10 BA LE issues, advice needed.

Masked
11-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Heya guys,

I purchased a 10 BA a few months ago because every review I had read about it was positive and having never tried anything on the Savage platform, I decided to take a shot.

The action is great, genuinely have no complaints about the Accutrigger, either...To be quite honest, I don't understand why more people don't like it but, definitely a preference thing.

My complaints are more/less about the barrel...I had complaints about the stock, definitely too heavy for a tactical platform but, my girlfriend is getting me a Manner stock for xmass so, those complaints are out the window.

I shoot at a 500yd range and my rifle definitely prefers 168grain loads...Hornady Match/Federal thus far...

I've been working my way up in caliber so, the 308 is new to me.

At first, I was contributing the 1+ spread to be shooter error and began to work more on my positioning/fundamentals.

Well, last week, I went shooting with a friend that's on temporary leave. He's a huge fan of Chey-Tac and spends his cash on nothing but Chey-Tac so, out came his rifles; 308, 408 and the 50.

From 300yds and 500yds I was shooting sub .30's/.50's on his rifle (Crazy good day, no wind...perfect)...On my Savage, I was seeing results of .7-1.0 from 300, 1.0-3.0 at 500.

He took over on the savage and actually got practically the same results, I did.

In reading around a bit, I've been shooting at about 1-2m/clip. I think I've done some permanent damage to the barrel because even now at cold bore, the performance has begun to get worse.

When I spoke to the store about it, they're willing to take it back but, I'm really kind of attached at this point, especially with the new stock coming.

Do you guys think I should give it back to the store or just get a new barrel?

If I do end up choosing to get a new barrel are there any match-grade options out there that can stand up to that kind of heat and will keep their performance?

The store also said that it's possible I could just send the barrel back to Savage as well but, I don't know what the reality is of that happening.

Thanks guys!

jdg
11-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Have you ran a good copper solvent through your bore? May be its copper fouled??? Barns CR10, or KG12 work good for me.

Gmac5
11-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Whats your cleaning procedure ? What are your expectations from a stock factory rifle? Your answers will determine which route i personally would go.
No brag , just fact

Gmac5
11-03-2012, 09:01 PM
And do you reload or handload ,yes there is a diff.
No brag just fact

Masked
11-03-2012, 09:39 PM
My cleaning procedure is virtually this video, exactly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymyw7CLFWOk

I reload at the moment, I do expect a difference in accuracy but, last week we used 100% fresh ammo so, there was no bias for either rifle.

I also just took out my log book and accuracy has consistently declined on both types of ammo (over the counter) over the past couple months.

As to what I expect...In the beginning, the rifle was great but, at this point, I'd really like some consistency...If I have to buy a new barrel to achieve that and not have it warp when shooting a clip, in a row, then that's absolutely understandable and I'll go that route. - Especially considering I have a stock coming + I do like the action, that seems to be the best route.

At this point, I'm wondering if this is a factory issue where I just "got a lemon" or a me issue where I took the rifle beyond it's limitations.

Also, if I do go the route of a new barrel, are there any you guys would specifically look into?

Thanks again!

Luky
01-01-2013, 06:06 AM
I too have a 10BA-LE. Definitly need to work up a load for your particular rifle. Mine has a pretty tight chamber. With a OAL of 2.800" I am right at the lands so I cannot load them long. Using 175gn SMK with 43.4gn Varget and Federal 210M primers in IMI Match brass (cases also match prepped) I can get .25-.35 MOA at 100 yards (shot 1" groups @ 300 yards). I chrono the rounds at 2666fps. I load them to 2.007" base to Ogive. I did several ladder tests to come up with this load and find it works really well in my gun and I can get consistent hits out to 885 yards (farthest target on our range). I only got about .6-.8MOA @ 100yds using FGMM and BHM. Another thing I did was run a set of the Tubb's final finish bore lapping bullets through the barrel in my first 100 rounds (used 7 of each of the first 3 heavy grits and all 10 of the fine grits). I also pulled the giant rail off and got a 1 piece 20MOA scope mount (DNZ Freedom Reaper Tactical) for it which puts the scope much closer to the barrel. If you were going to replace the stock you could have just got a 10FCP-K and saved a few bucks... Another option is that AICS (finally) just released a folding stock for a Savage SA if you are interested. I think Mile High shooting has them for about $1100.

Masked
01-02-2013, 11:33 AM
I too have a 10BA-LE. Definitly need to work up a load for your particular rifle. Mine has a pretty tight chamber. With a OAL of 2.800" I am right at the lands so I cannot load them long. Using 175gn SMK with 43.4gn Varget and Federal 210M primers in IMI Match brass (cases also match prepped) I can get .25-.35 MOA at 100 yards (shot 1" groups @ 300 yards). I chrono the rounds at 2666fps. I load them to 2.007" base to Ogive. I did several ladder tests to come up with this load and find it works really well in my gun and I can get consistent hits out to 885 yards (farthest target on our range). I only got about .6-.8MOA @ 100yds using FGMM and BHM. Another thing I did was run a set of the Tubb's final finish bore lapping bullets through the barrel in my first 100 rounds (used 7 of each of the first 3 heavy grits and all 10 of the fine grits). I also pulled the giant rail off and got a 1 piece 20MOA scope mount (DNZ Freedom Reaper Tactical) for it which puts the scope much closer to the barrel. If you were going to replace the stock you could have just got a 10FCP-K and saved a few bucks... Another option is that AICS (finally) just released a folding stock for a Savage SA if you are interested. I think Mile High shooting has them for about $1100.

I actually ended up ordering an XLR that's due in a few weeks...Only issue now has been the hunt for ammo.

Am currently working with a reloader to get some good rounds but, it's nice to know someone else was having a similar issue.

I also pulled off the stock rail and purchased a 20MOA...Best move, yet IMO.

I'll check out that load, thanks very much for the information!