PDA

View Full Version : trying to find a load for a new powder (40s&w and wsf)

lal357
12-30-2009, 08:09 AM
decided to change some loads up a swaped to a new powder wsf i like the jacketed loads i've read but there isnt anything out there foe 180gr. lead tc bullets . any of ya'll loaded with this powder i was using titegroup but it smokes to bad with lead.any help?

GaCop
12-31-2009, 06:48 AM
I haven't tried in in 40 cal but did work up some 200 grain lead loads in 45 ACP that shot well in my Sig.

Uncle Jack
12-31-2009, 08:20 AM
When I load for the 40S&W, which I consider primarily a self defense cartridge, one of my main concerns is "Low Flash". The possibility that you may have to use it in a low light situation is real, if not probable.

You may want to look at H Universal Clays. It gives good velocity with 180grn bullets and has a very low flash profile.

uj

Titandriver
12-31-2009, 08:44 AM
See if you can locate a Laser-Cast reloading handbook. THey have tons of data for cast bullets with a variety of powders. I'll check mine tonight as I think WSF is one of the powders they used.

Rich

Joe O
12-31-2009, 05:36 PM
When I shot IDPA and USPSA with a 40 cal, PARA,I shot 180gr lead TC bullets,at slow speeds with fast burning powders.My books are at the shop and I can't remember all the powders I used.Most of the smoke is from the bullet lube.You will always get some,no matter what powder you use.I've had to wait at times for a follow-up shot,before I could see the target.I did shoot tight group,among others.I did some work up with 200gr and 220 gr lead TC bullets.BTW ,I always shot 180gr TC lead in my 38 Spl.Lazercast is the only place I could find them lately,since National Bullet co folded.