PDA

View Full Version : will a properly bedded stock hang with some of the aftermarket precision stocks?

scythefwd
10-31-2012, 10:29 AM
Seriously.. Looking at getting a boyds thumbhole featherweight and getting it devcon and pillar bedded. Is there a chance that it will hang with something along the lines of a Bell and Carlson medalist, a McMillan, or even something as inexpensive as a choate with a full bedding block?

jonbearman
10-31-2012, 10:36 AM
The choates are extremely rigid but wak like 7#'s. If it is bedded correctly,it would do well for occasional bench shooting for fun and hunting. The B&C's are good,hs precision better,mcmillan and others like them are tops for rigidity.

scythefwd
10-31-2012, 10:39 AM
in other words, no.. it wont hang.. thanks.

Will a properly bedded stock, in conjunction with a shilen select match barrel conceivable be a .5moa shooter? I'd be happy with .75moa.. but the real goal is .5...

jpdown
10-31-2012, 01:06 PM
I have several Savage builds with walnut or laminated stocks and CBI, Shilen or McGowen barrels. They are all pillar and glass bedded. They all shoot 0.5 MOA or better once you work up the right load for the rifle. In fact, I've had several Savage factory barrels that would shoot sub 0.5 once you replaced the tupperware stock, bedded the action/recoil lug are and floated the tang and barrel. Although, I must say, the custom barrels do clean up easier.

stomp442
10-31-2012, 02:14 PM
I have several Savage builds with walnut or laminated stocks and CBI, Shilen or McGowen barrels. They are all pillar and glass bedded. They all shoot 0.5 MOA or better once you work up the right load for the rifle. In fact, I've had several Savage factory barrels that would shoot sub 0.5 once you replaced the tupperware stock, bedded the action/recoil lug are and floated the tang and barrel. Although, I must say, the custom barrels do clean up easier.

I agree 100% I have a few in Boyds stocks that shoot right there with the best of them. The most important part is development of your loads.

aimatit
10-31-2012, 04:16 PM
I know this question has been asked a gazzillion times. How do I find the bedding tutorial or article on this site. Thanks for any help.

davemuzz
10-31-2012, 05:05 PM
This may help you: http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html