PDA

View Full Version : Savage 11 - poor start

kayaker
12-30-2009, 12:07 AM
Hi all,
Took my new Savage 11 .308 out for its first shots today. Its the non-accutrigger package rifle. I have replaced the rings with Burris Zee's and mounted a Bushnell legend 2-7x that I had already. Bases are on with 15in/lbs of torque and blue locktite, rings to bases 45in/lbs and ring halves on with just under 20in/lbs. Rings were lapped.

I also lightened the trigger by replacing the spring and reducing the tension, but staying safe - probably could go lower; trigger is 4 lbs.

I used Win PP 150gr and mil-surp fmj's.

Shot 2, cleaned, repeated 3 times, then cleaned after every 3 shot group using Gunslick 'Copper Klenz'.

Results - terrible! Best 3 shot 100yard group was about 1.2", which I was happy with with. The rest were poor, between 3-6" :eek: and I burned 30 rnds. My Lee Enfield could better this with ease.

Now it could well be me, I am no sharpshooter, but typically do better than that (perhaps I have developed a flinch??)!

Scope?? The scope is less than a year old and has 120 rounds from a .303 under its belt, thats it. I have noticed that it can be slow to react to adjustments..?

Ammo? I bought this Savagae as I am on a budget but heard nothing but good reports on savage accuracy. I'll try some Federals next or a different weight. Perhaps the barrel needs further break-in?

Crown? I did the Q-tip test and there appears to be no burrs.

Any savage shooters or any of you with similar experiences or advice?

CFS
12-30-2009, 12:15 AM
First off......I think I would try some better ammo..
also a little heavier grain bullet...165, 175

I have never seen a Savage that was not a shooter......sometimes you have to find a bullet the rifle likes.
Make sure (you probably already have) rings, bases, scope tight......
go from there

Let us know......hope this helps.

Pop

Westbrook
12-30-2009, 12:15 AM
Try some different brands of ammo or if you reload neck size those once fired cases and start from there. Hopefully you can find a round it really shines with.

I have a Savage 111 in .223 that with Hornady 55 grain factory ammo will shoot tiny groups, while Remington fmj ammo prints shotgun patterns.

GaCop
12-30-2009, 06:56 AM
As stated, better ammunition and most likely a scope replacement will improve things. Are you shooting three or five shot groups? What type rest are you using? How long a wait between rounds. Check your action screws for tightness too.

A bad barrel does occassionally escape from the plant. I had a Stevens 200 7mm/08 that wouldn't shoot any groups no matter what I tried. I rebarreled it with a 7mm/08 sporter take off barrel from a forum member (along with changing the tupperware stock, SSS recoil lug, floating the barrel and glass bedding it) it turned into a .5" shooter at 100 yards with my handloads.

bluealtered
12-30-2009, 08:36 AM
I know everybody has their own break in style, however savages are well known for rough barrels. My model 11's started shooting better groups when they had around a 100 or better rounds through them AND i quit cleaning them so often. After about 20-30 rounds the groups tighten up on mine. After that i don't clean them again until the groups fall off. A little copper is a good thing on some savages. blue

PBinWA
12-30-2009, 10:57 AM
+1 on the better ammo. I shot some Remington UMC out of my new 10FCP and it was all over the place. Hornady VMax's were going right where I wanted them.

358Hammer
12-30-2009, 11:41 AM
+1 on the cleaning and break in. One cannot expect accuracy potential during a typical break in unless you shoot a fouling shot into the bank prior to shooting for group.

Also, many have found that placing one's hand on the scope stabalizes the gun quite nicely. By doing this however you are causing torgue on the front of the stock and the POI will be constantly changing. On tupperware stocks in particuler I have actually seen the forend bend and touch the barrel.

A good hand crafted reload is going to improve the potential of the gun. Basics in shooting technique must be adherred to before one can get the most from ones gun.

Yes all barrel companies from time to time let a bad one out the door. Not sure that you are at that point yet though.

Neal

fatdaddy
12-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Hi Kayaker,
I have a model 12 308. It hated 155 Amax. Dont know if it was the weight or the bullet. No depth or powder combo I tried worked into a 1" group. Now 125 gr and 168gr it loved long time... BTW +1 on the 100 rounds down the tube before any of my 4 savages tighten up. I also dont perscribe to the barrel brake in... Someone said shoot it till the groups open up or your out of loaded ammo, then clean. Thats what works for me.... Dont have a savage that wont go into .5" with a 5 shot group at 100 yd. Bill

kayaker
12-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks guys,
The scope will go back to Bushnell for a check up (especially the 'squishy' windage dial), I will relieve some plastic from the barrel channel and also stop the cleaning now that the break-in is 'complete'!

I'll report back when it goes out again!

wbm
12-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Long as you are going to use different ammunition I would suggest the Federal Fusion 150g. It has shot extremely well in every Savage .308 I have had as well as two Savages that belonged to friends.

spaniel
12-30-2009, 06:10 PM
I suspected what was coming once I saw the ammo listed.

Are you reloading? Besides the suspect ammo it's hard to judge a gun off factory ammo period.

I have the same gun as you, except .243. I did not fire it in the factory configuration but immediately put it in an HS Precision stock. But I can tell you that factory stock is junk. At the very least, see if you can figure out how to stiffen and bed it. Otherwise, you're in $200-$350 for a new, stiffer stock.

Mine started out shooting 1.5" groups with H414 and 87 vmax's, but as I kept upping the charge they suddenly shrunk to .6-.7" on average.

I just bedded it and have not shot it again yet...

I've been on a budget where you're at, but when you go cheap on the gun to start with you have to expect you won't get the accuracy out of the box of more expensive guns. I think you can get close while still coming out ahead if you a) check the scope, b) switch to better bullets, c) develop specific loads for this gun (charge weight then adjust seating deph), d) bed or swap the stock.

tropicmaster
12-30-2009, 06:17 PM
feed it a box or two of Federal GMM in 168 MK and stand back. I am betting that if the basics are covered and checked as you say, the 168's will go around .7 or better.