PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 Partial Barrel Obstruction

7963bill
10-30-2012, 06:25 PM
Purchased this 110E about a year ago and loaded some new brass so that the bullet was just off the lands. Got some 1" groups at 100 yards with Hornady SST 130g and Sierra 110g Spitzer. Before reloading the brass it was checked for proper length and was cycled through the action to make sure there was no problem. The loaded ammo was very hard to chamber. After close inspection of the bullet I could see that there was hard scraping contact on one side of the bullet right at the bullet shoulder. After taking the barrel off I was convinced that there was a copper buildup and had a gunsmith check it out. He ended up giving it a good cleaning and did get rid of all the copper. The chamber and rifling looked great. Then to double check my C.O.L. I smoked a dummy round and discovered it was not reaching the lands. Out of desperation I rigged up a way to spin a dummy carterage with a drill motor and auto valve grinding compound...GASP...Being careful to keep the compound on the high spot and not touch the lands, I went through about 10 sst bullets. The copper didn't hold very good to the steel. Anyway I finally felt the dummy round break past the obstruction which was some kind of machining mark left from the factory when the chamber was cut or when the rifling was cut. Now the C.O.L. is about 3/16 of an inch longer to reach the lands. Polished and cleaned it all up. Anxious to shoot it again. I'll post results.

Gmac5
10-31-2012, 12:47 PM
Ask your gunsmith to get a borescope or find one who does have . I cant believe anyone would be charging and evaluating,cleaning guns without one!
No brag just fact

7963bill
10-31-2012, 08:09 PM
I'll do that. Did you make it through the storm ok?

Gmac5
11-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Yes bill thanks for asking