PDA

View Full Version : What kind of groups are you shooting with your AXIS?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Amistoso
11-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Agreed--but it wasn't me that started this! Anyway, back on topic--I'll try to get out tomorrow and get some new target groupings to post here for you guys to laugh at. : ) My last trip out I put a Center point 4 x 16 scope on my Axis 308 (I just couldn't see well enough with a 3 x 9)--and after about a dozen rounds and getting it zeroed the scope blew itself apart inside--the reticle appears to have been nothing more than a cheap decal which fell off the internal lens. So I've switched the buckmaster off of my 270 and hopefully there will be improvement.
I've though of getting that scope, but I think ima pass on that now. Now, back to the topic :P

mattm0812
11-01-2012, 12:41 PM
I've though of getting that scope, but I think ima pass on that now. Now, back to the topic :P

I have the buckmaster also. It's a great scope.

thermaler
11-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Another frustrating day. The best I could do was two--at most three--shots in MOA or less before I would shoot a flier wide by a few inches. I fired federal match king, Nosler bonded and HSM berger in 308. My problem is that I'm about to go hunting and I'm not sure I'm "100% one shot one kill." The guy next to me firing his rifles laughed and said my shooting was fine and not to worry, he'd been taking whitetails for 25 years and assured my groupings were way better than needed. I still want to go out one last time--but dang the ammo is expensive.

thermaler
11-01-2012, 01:58 PM
I have the buckmaster also. It's a great scope.Yeah--it's just a smidgen under the monarch in terms of quality but almost a couple hundred less in price. I just wish it had the same fineness in crosshairs as the monarch does.

Gmac5
11-01-2012, 02:00 PM
762x51 this was a barrel blank from either shilen or montana riflemans clearance sale. I used one of bob whites second hand reamers ,EXCELLENT DEAL as always from bob white at SHOOTERS CORNER.
No brag just fact,Gary

thomae
11-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Another frustrating day. The best I could do was two--at most three--shots in MOA or less before I would shoot a flier wide by a few inches. I fired federal match king, Nosler bonded and HSM berger in 308. My problem is that I'm about to go hunting and I'm not sure I'm "100% one shot one kill." The guy next to me firing his rifles laughed and said my shooting was fine and not to worry, he'd been taking whitetails for 25 years and assured my groupings were way better than needed. I still want to go out one last time--but dang the ammo is expensive.If you can hit an 8" paper plate at the range you expect to see the deer, you are within "minute of deer." Doesn't mean you have to be happy with it, but you can certainly and ethically take a deer with a rifle that doesn't shoot 1 MOA at 100 yards. Been done for hundreds of years.

Tempest
11-05-2012, 10:13 AM
My .223 Axis often shoots like this at 100 yards. This was bulk Federal value pack from Walmart.

I use Black Hills for longer distances.

https://home.comcast.net/~ericdouthitt/1DSCF0410.jpg

fgw_in_fla
11-05-2012, 02:24 PM
That's not bad for factory ammo.

Not bad at all....

Good shootin'.

Gunther
11-08-2012, 09:53 AM
dont have pictures of either group but my 25-06 shot a 1" group 3 shots and my dads shot a 3/4" group at 100 but we were just using rounds that he put together for breaking in the barrel. I just did the trigger spring adjustment and where he has the timney trigger and the stock stiffened. When I get my stock done and we get some loads half worked up hopefully I will be posting pictures that will have 1 ragged hole.

thermaler
11-08-2012, 11:50 AM
If you can hit an 8" paper plate at the range you expect to see the deer, you are within "minute of deer." Doesn't mean you have to be happy with it, but you can certainly and ethically take a deer with a rifle that doesn't shoot 1 MOA at 100 yards. Been done for hundreds of years.Thanx for that. I guess the reason it frustrates me is that I similarly modified my 270 and it does tighter groups--and it even kicks a bit harder than my 308.

Richard Giguere
11-08-2012, 09:02 PM
Here is my latest target. 3 shot groups at 100 yards. I know I still have a long ways to go, but still an improvement over my last target.http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y399/frenchyx2/DSCN2374.jpg

fla9-40
11-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Nice shooting, Richard! I would not say "Long ways" looks like your about there! =)

Richard Giguere
11-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Nice shooting, Richard! I would not say "Long ways" looks like your about there! =)

Good morning Frank, thank for the pat on the shoulder. Seems that some days I can't hit anything close to the bullseye. Other days life is good, and so that is what I keep in mind LOL. Now if I can get this "science of reloading down" I am sure that will help. I never realised how much there is to learn in this re-loading stuff.