PDA

View Full Version : Model of my Rifle?

NC_Pitbull27
10-29-2012, 10:58 PM
I recently just started hunting again after 12 years and was looking for a rifle. I went with my wife to a yard sale last weekend and saw this rifle that was for sale. So I bought it because it was in great shape inside and out. Its a Savage 110 .270 with black synthetic stock and a Simmons 3-9x40 scope. I know the scope is not the greatest in the world but I got the gun for $150. Just wondering if I got a good deal. Also, I was telling a friend about the gun and he asked me what model and started asking about E,G and all kinds of stuff which I am not familiar with. So can someone please help me out with that? The serial# on the gun is f548999. Any help of advice would be great since my friend told me that they had some years where their guns were not as good as others. He told me I should of bought a Rem. 700 but I like this gun and it shoots a great group at 150. Thanks in advance.

big honkin jeep
10-29-2012, 11:42 PM
You did very well at $150. Its an older flatback model probably early to mid 90s production. Just my opinion but if it were me I would take the money you didn't spend and upgrade the scope and mounts immediately. It should provide you with many years of hunting pleasure. Hang around here a while and keep reading and you will find out why straight out of the box the Savage 110 is superior to the Remington 700.

WYcoyote
10-29-2012, 11:55 PM
At $150 you stole it.
Welcome to savageshooters.

LHitchcox
10-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Dang, what a deal. Replace the scope as soon as practical and call it good. You may want to look at trigger tuning since the '90s triggers were usually heavy. The 110s are great shooters. Tell your bud that you can outshoot him with your cheap Savage. Lots of snobbery out there. I buy Savage for several reasons. I am left handed and they make more left hand options than anyone. And I like the accuracy and value.

NC_Pitbull27
10-30-2012, 12:58 PM
You did very well at $150. Its an older flatback model probably early to mid 90s production. Just my opinion but if it were me I would take the money you didn't spend and upgrade the scope and mounts immediately. It should provide you with many years of hunting pleasure. Hang around here a while and keep reading and you will find out why straight out of the box the Savage 110 is superior to the Remington 700.

Thanks for the info and I plan on staying around. This is my first savage and they way it has been shooting it wont be my last.

NC_Pitbull27
10-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Dang, what a deal. Replace the scope as soon as practical and call it good. You may want to look at trigger tuning since the '90s triggers were usually heavy. The 110s are great shooters. Tell your bud that you can outshoot him with your cheap Savage. Lots of snobbery out there. I buy Savage for several reasons. I am left handed and they make more left hand options than anyone. And I like the accuracy and value.

I had thought about having the accutrigger put on the gun, and was thinking about putting the Nikon 3-9x40 Nikoplex scope and not sure about the rings. I am open to ideas with the scope too.

BRIAN G
10-30-2012, 04:58 PM
You can't go wrong with Nikon. I dropped my .30-06 out of a tree, the rifle fell 20 ft, bounced off the recoil pad and smashed into the tree. Thank God I was in the process of getting ready to get down and my rifle was unloaded. Got down to find an ugly mark on the side of my Nikon Monarch 3-9 X 40. I just knew it was ruined. I promptly took it to the range and shot a 3 shot one hole group at 100 yards. Since then, I have replaced all my glass with Nikon. Even the low-end Pro Staff line is superior to most of the stuff in it's price class. (IMO)

As far as rings / bases, I bought Warne rings and bases for the rifle I'm working on now and I have been extremely impressed. Very heavy duty and reasonably priced. Congrats on the find! You got yourself a great deal.

NC_Pitbull27
10-30-2012, 06:24 PM
You can't go wrong with Nikon. I dropped my .30-06 out of a tree, the rifle fell 20 ft, bounced off the recoil pad and smashed into the tree. Thank God I was in the process of getting ready to get down and my rifle was unloaded. Got down to find an ugly mark on the side of my Nikon Monarch 3-9 X 40. I just knew it was ruined. I promptly took it to the range and shot a 3 shot one hole group at 100 yards. Since then, I have replaced all my glass with Nikon. Even the low-end Pro Staff line is superior to most of the stuff in it's price class. (IMO)

As far as rings / bases, I bought Warne rings and bases for the rifle I'm working on now and I have been extremely impressed. Very heavy duty and reasonably priced. Congrats on the find! You got yourself a great deal.

Thanks for all the info guys. I will look into this rings. I have been pleased with the Nikon Scopes I have looked at and will probably go with the Prostaff series.