PDA

View Full Version : 338 Win Feeding Issues

cowboyarcher
10-29-2012, 10:04 PM
Hi all,

I'm having a feeding issue with a 338 I build a while back. As I feed the 1st and 2nd rounds from the mag box they jump out with such force so as to almost clear the action and do not reliably under any sort of a hurry.

I'm assuming the mag box lips need to be tweaked, any thoughts?

It's an old flat back action with the staggered feed box.

Thanks all and God bless you,

Adam

handirifle
10-30-2012, 01:58 AM
Yea ya just need tweak the feed lips in some. Try to see which end comes up first, front or back and start there. Let me also ask, did it feed properly in the original caliber, and what caliber was it?

If an '06 or similar, you MIGHT need the magnum box and follower. I got one for mine, but was never really satisfied with it, and got the original to feed better than the magnum one. The rim just needs to stick up high enough for the bolt to catch it, no higher. Usually the front lifts up too soon and causes the brass to launch. Try tweaking the front lips a bit. Go little bits at a time. It's tough cause they are strong and springy.

Good luck.

BillPa
10-30-2012, 05:55 AM
One thing I found out getting my 250 Imps to feed in addition to tweaking the mag lips was reducing the follower spring tension. You only need just enough tension to move the next cartridge up in position so the bolt can pick it up without it jumping out early.

Bill

cowboyarcher
10-31-2012, 02:58 PM
Only the first 2 of the 3 that will fit jump, and they seem to jump from the entire length of the mag box as soon as the bullet starts to tip up out of the box.

The action was originally a magnum action, so the mag box should be the correct one.