PDA

View Full Version : hornaday 180 gr sp interlock loads

sportrucker
10-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Im new to reloading and rifle shooting and decided to get into reloading for the cost being cheaper. I have a savage 111 trophy hunter xp 300 win mag and have been shooting Hornaday super performance 180gr SST. They shoot realy well and i keep 1moa groups with them at 100yds and want to duplicate the accuracy. I bought the 180gr sp interlock bullets the other day and am having trouble finding a load for them. we load up some with 70gr H1000 and they were shooting 2"high and 2"left compared to the factory hornaday loads. just lookin for some help since i got 95 more of theses bullets to use up.

thomae
10-28-2012, 11:47 PM
You should not worry about point of impact (where they fall on the target) unless it is REALLY off, but rather get a load that results in consistently hitting the same spot (small groups). You can adjust the average point of impact with your scope, especially if it is only 2" off.

Every load will shoot to a different point of impact. It has to do with the barrel vibrations in two axes (that is the correct spelling of the plural form of the word "axis").

FUBAR
10-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Thomae is correct about focusing on point of impact (POI), but......

Could be many, many reasons why they are shooting 2" high/left....first thing I noticed is that your powder starting charge weight for H1000 is very low, considering the 180 gr bullet....

What load manual are you using?

Primer type, neck tension, powder burn rate, bullet seating depth, are just a few things that can effect the POI

LHitchcox
10-30-2012, 08:50 AM
Where they are hitting compared to your old load is not important. The factory 180 SSTs are undoubtedly using a different powder. That explains most of the difference in impact point. What is important is the group size. Are they close together? My 165 Hornady load hits five inches higher than my 150 Nosler load. The 150 load is mild and the 165 is top end. Have you tried H4350? I load 57 grains of it under the Hornady 180s and have also used 58 grains of H4831sc with the same bullet. Accuracy and velocity are great.

jsthntn247
10-30-2012, 03:20 PM
Thomae is correct about focusing on point of impact (POI), but......

Could be many, many reasons why they are shooting 2" high/left....first thing I noticed is that your powder starting charge weight for H1000 is very low, considering the 180 gr bullet....

What load manual are you using?

Primer type, neck tension, powder burn rate, bullet seating depth, are just a few things that can effect the POI

Wow that is a low charge for the 180's. That if flirting with some serious low pressure charges. Mine shoots lights out with 81 grains of H-1000 and the 180's

sportrucker
11-01-2012, 01:00 AM
We picked the 70 grains to start with. since we were looking through different manuals and couldnt find the exact bullet with what powder we have. So we winged it off a similar bullet. We used CCI magnum primers in those. I would like to find a good load since I got 95 more of them bullets. I'm ok with experimenting we got some more powders recently IMR 4831, h4831sc and reloader19.