PDA

View Full Version : Help -- shells stop ejecting..

wal0001
10-28-2012, 09:11 PM
I shoot 3 savages -- 308, 270 wsm and 325 wsm.. I was working up loads from my 270 wsm and decided to clean after a couple of days at the range to get it ready to go back. Fired my first shot the next time at the range and the bolt would not throw the shell. Studied this for awhile, shot again and same thing. Bolt pulls back but at the end won't flip the spent casing out the side. I have taken the bolt out a hundred times and was just curious if I may have put it back in somehow differently-- any suggestions? The local gunsmith charges $80 just to look at anything ---- he is very good, but I sure would like to save the money.. I am thinking of putting my other bolt from the 325 in there tomorrow and see if that makes a difference. To me, it appears there is a spring loaded lever attached to the magazine that is responsible for flipping the shell, but I am not positive..

Thanks for any advice.

KRP
10-28-2012, 09:54 PM
Sounds like it is CRF, correct? The CRF ejector is attached to the trigger pin. Is one "lug" of the front baffle shorter than the other? If you have it spun 180 it could limit bolt throw short of the ejector. Otherwise I'd check you didn't break the tip off the ejector some how.

thejetman
12-03-2012, 08:39 AM
I had the same problem. Found out that savage used a soft metal. Brass maybe. For the extractor. Went to brownies, ordered a new ejector, ball, and spring. Fixed it. The trick to doing the change is to not lose the little ball. Push the old ejector pawl out th you finger or a small flat head screwdriver. Keep your finger over it at the same time and it won't shoot into your eye, or never never land. Put the new spring in it. While having the bolt face straight up. Put he ball on the spring, slide the new pawl right up to he ball. Using the screwdriver, push the ball into the spring and at the sam time push the pawl over the ball. Then see if hat helps. Cheap fix. At least it was for mine.

thomae
12-03-2012, 09:18 AM
Edit: Sorry...reread original post...I realize we are talking about CRF Ejection, not extraction. My post was off topic. Sorry.