PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on 6.5 x 284 build for hunting

KTP
10-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Guys,
I'm wanting to build a second 6.5 x 284 rifle but this time I want to build a sporter for antelope hunting.
I'd like to be able to shoot 800-1000 yards so would be interested in:
1. Barrel contour ( I like criterion barrels, sporter or heavy sporter?)
2. What barrel twist to shoot 130-150 grain bullets?
3. What scope have you used in a hunting situation that doesnt add weight but allows realistic magnification?
4. Any other thoughts?
THANKS

r3dn3ck
10-28-2012, 04:16 PM
Get ready for lots of folks to jump in, slide right down your throat and let you know how bad an idea that is.

For my part: It is completely unethical to contemplate field shots on game at those ranges. The vital zone on an antelope is not big enough for even 1MOA of minimum precision at that range and you risk wounding the animal and losing it. I wouldn't take that shot over 500yrds from a dead solid rest. It's not a target, it's an living animal and a public resource not to be squandered on silly pissing contests to see if you could get one that far away. If you can get within a mile you can get within 400yrds (which is still very very far for hunting) and take an at least borderline ethical shot.

All scopes add weight and you're asking for something I don't think exists, super light + high magnification and 1000yrds precision sort of capability. At 1000yrds I use a fixed 10x more than anything (or a 5" astronomical telescope and a webcam), below that sort of extreme range (well.. closer to under 600yrds) 3-9x is sufficient for most of my purposes. Beyond 1000yrds I start using 16x and hating it to bits. So much pulse bounce it's unreal. I have taken very long shots on game, in excess of 500yrds standing up and lucked out and killed it dead right there. That was too far and I was wrong to have done it regardless of outcome. It was so far outside of responsible I won't ever repeat the act, and you're thinking of twice that far.

Now to the technical matters: contour doesn't matter. Sporter weight is as good as heavy barrel for a 1-shot hunting gun. If you plan to shoot long strings at paper/steel then as heavy as you're wiling to carry, 8" twist for the heaviest bullets.

Personally I don't think you've thought this through. The biggest fastest laser beam isn't always the best killer.

flame suit on. (I can't wait for the anecdote spitters to join in so I'll get this out there in advance: Just because it happened once doesn't make it right!)

KTP
10-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Point well made. Youre right, I dont plan on shooting that far. It can happen, but realistically It's not likely for me. However, I find that asking for the suggestions to deal with the extreme doesn't hurt. Most of my pronghorn stalks have ended up under 500 yards and that's what I prefer. Having said that, let's amend the original question.
1. What twist barrel for the 130-150 grain bullets
2. Who is making a good 6-18 scope these days? Leupold still the choice? Burris? Sightron?
3. Anyone prefer the heavy sporter over the sporter in CBI barrels?

FUBAR
10-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Will not get into the ethics....The Terminal Ballistics is the most important consideration for Longrange hunting, notice I did not say shooting. If you have a ballistics program look at where the ft lbs fall off...also there ia a lot of info on Terminal performance for the animal type.

6.5-284 is an outstanding choice for the ranges of Pronghorn hunting, but a light weight rifle for what you described does not add up. I would build more of a Varmint class Benchrest, because to make those shots you have to be supported (heavy long barrel).

BoilerUP
10-28-2012, 07:03 PM
24" sporter contour 1:8 Criterion should be PLENTY for a long range hunting rifle. Combine it with a Boyd FT, McM EDGE or Manners SL and go get em...

r3dn3ck
10-28-2012, 07:37 PM
LRPUT: that's more sensible, apologies if it came off harsh but I couldn't let that pass. 8-twist, Leupold quality has fallen off. I like Vortex (viper or viper pst series), bushnell Elite series, Nikon, Zeiss. I don't know about sightron's quality anymore. I have a 10 year old sightron that's fabulous but they were much less expensive at the time and I thought I found a genuine bargain at the time. Vortex are coming up in the world. Bushnell elite are some of the best scopes I've bought in recent years. Zeiss has some affordable (well... sorta) scopes in your desired power range. Leupold is still a good scope but it's not a great scope IMHO anymore and hasn't been for about 5 years or so. Given the option and no real penalty I'll take as much barrel weight as I can get. Thin barrels can be a real PITA to develop handloads on without the ability to shoot 5 rounds in a row without the barrel getting too hot.

I'm waiting for my polygonally rifled 7mm RM barrel for much the same purpose (intermediate range P-horn). That's liable to be a 6 month wait or longer but it's an incredible barrel and a very capable round.

FUBAR
10-28-2012, 08:32 PM
I have two 6-284s built in sort of Varmint class configuration, one 1-8 27" PacNor other 30" 1-10 Shilen, both cut with the same reamer, .272 necks so I only turn one time and use the same brass.
It's a very fine case with high BC bullet selection.

Buy as much scope as you can afford...

N8Will
10-28-2012, 11:23 PM
Ive been shooting leupold vx 3 cds, in my opinion its a great hunting scope. On my 280 AI I can dail to 680 yds. Its a 4.5 to 14, I like the small turret it is just like a standard one. For the money you cant go wrong for a mid range or for me long range hunting scope.

WYcoyote
10-29-2012, 11:01 PM
I built a heavy sporter type 6.5-.284 with a #4 contour, SS nitride coated 25" barrel by Benchmark topped with a Nitrex TRII 3-15x50.
not super light, scales at 10 pounds with scope.

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo121/mjkbpics/Guns/Savage002.jpg

KTP
10-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Sweet looking rig !!!!!