PDA

View Full Version : Bedding the Stevens 200

ole_270
12-29-2009, 01:39 PM
Just set mine back to cure, I'm wondering what others do with the rear pillar area. Looks to me like the rear pillar in the centerfeed magazine model is just window dressing, with the tab from the magazine laying partially over it there is no way it contacts the receiver. The plastic rails above the slot take the pressure, not the pillar. I put some bedding compound on those rails for now but wonder how the gurus on this board handle the rear action screw?
I glued in a couple lengths of arrow shaft in the forend, planning at some time to fill it in the rest of the way. Where do people get the micro-ballons for filler, and what epoxy works best for this application? Hate to use up AccraGlas or Marine Bed for a filler with the size of the area to be filled.

rickt300
12-29-2009, 02:15 PM
So far I have had excellent luck cutting/sanding the forend so it doesn't touch the barrel then using black automotive silicon to glue the barrel to the stock at the little flat at the front of the forearm. I do this with all the synthetic stocks I have. This uses the barrel to stiffen the forearm and it doesn't flex away and around when you have the rifle slung over your shoulder. Just make sure the recoil lug is against the stock when you tighten up the stock bolts. My recently acquired Stevens 200 in 270 is a real shooter thusly bedded. I at first thought i would need to at least epoxie bed the action but it just is not necessary when the rifle shoots as good as it does.

durango
12-31-2009, 11:22 PM
Ole_270-Micro-balloons are used in model planes, boats, etc. Try your local radio control hobby shop. If you have Hobby Lobby shops nearby-possibly (look up their web site for weekly coupons, usually 40% off one item.) Michael's would be a real long shot. Good Luck, Steve

deerkiller
01-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Where do people get the micro-ballons for filler,

Here's a couple of sources.
http://www.caswellplating.com/models/balloon.html
http://www.mecoa.com/acc/paint/index.htm
The mecoa link has the better pricing.

dk

ole_270
01-02-2010, 12:53 AM
Thanks guys, got it bedded at the front ring and lug. Started shooting for load development and it sure likes 120 BT and RL-15. Was hoping it would take to the 139 Hornady for normal use, but so far no such luck. When the weather turns I'll try again.

REDTAIL
01-04-2010, 03:56 AM
I though that the Savage / Stevens 200 rifle's come already bedded from the factory ? ???

Corsica Coatings
01-04-2010, 07:06 AM
I tried putting a 3/8" steel rod in the forearm and filling it with JB weld and then putting the barrelled action into the stock and making sure the JB cures with the barrel lined up properly, I use a piece of paper folded to give proper clear barrel to stock clearance. WHen cured, the forearm is very rigid and will not deflect easily by pushing or use of a bipod.

Joe