PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire Old Savage Sporter .22

xjcamaro89
10-26-2012, 07:38 AM
Hello everyone, its been a long time since ive been on here. And i guess long enough that i had to re-register. But anyway. I've been browsing the gun shops lately looking for a nice used .22 for my son for christmas. (He is 7 months old, lol) And i came across a nice little savage .22 yesterday, it looked old and different so i said i'd take it just based off of that. I dont have any pics cause its on layaway at my local gun shop cause i didnt have the cash on me so i just put $20 in it for them to hold it for me.

So here is the details. Its a Savage Sporter, thats all it says on the barrel. The clip is weird, in that it has a round nob on the bottom and you have to sort of push it forward to get the clip to pop out. There is a serial number on it. 1705XX. Does anyone have any information on this. I thought it would be a nice little .22 that my son can start out with and hopefully keep for a long time. Its going to be quite a few years before he could shoot it but i wanted to get him something for his first christmas. I dished out $140 for it.

Thanks guys!

billyb
10-29-2012, 11:07 AM
It sounds like the Mod 29a (?). It comes from the Mod 19 family. One piece barrel/ reciever. Schenaval (sp) stock. Dual firing pin? At $140 with the magazine sounds like a good deal. I have seen the mags go for $50+ by themselves. Usually a pretty good shooter. I have the Mod 19 it was made from. The early Mod 19 was made from 1919 to 1933(?).

xjcamaro89
10-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Thanks, based off the rsearch ive done the 29A are the ones with the clip with a rounded front end and square back end, and a knurled knob on the bottom. Thats what i got.