PDA

View Full Version : varmint or tactical barrel

acemisser
10-26-2012, 07:24 AM
can someone tell me the difference in the two barrels mentioned above..

I am thinking of building a 223 on a 200 action and was wondering
which barrel might be a better choice..My grandson is getting to
be big enough to do some bench shooting now..So I want to make
up something for him to have of his own..Thanks John

helotaxi
10-26-2012, 08:49 AM
The name on it. Different barrel makers use different names for the same profiles or cut their profiles slightly different. Without knowing anything more than you've provided, it's impossible to make a recommendation.

For Remington factory rifles, the difference is the rate of twist in the rifling. The SPS Varmint in .223 has a 1:12 twist and is limited to the lightweight varmint bullets. The SPS Tactical has a 1:9 twist and will shoot some of the heavier bullets better suited to longer ranges.

nubrun
10-26-2012, 10:54 AM
I would check the barrel manufacturers website. For example Criterion lists the following info:
http://criterionbarrels.com/productpages/IMAGES/Savage%20Contours.pdf

Also as helotaxi mentioned the twist is as important as the contour.

acemisser
10-26-2012, 02:13 PM
I know..I want a 8 twist..But is one barrel more heavier than the other...

nubrun
10-26-2012, 03:04 PM
I know..I want a 8 twist..But is one barrel more heavier than the other...

It depends on the manufacturers specific contour. What barrel manufacturer are you looking at?

It looks like for the 700 the tactical barrel is just a heavy varmint barrel. As mentioned the twist rate is different but the contour I believe is the same. I would go with a heavy varmint, I just built a 6.5x47 with a 28" Bull and the thing is heavy. In hindsight if I had to do again I would go with a varmint.

helotaxi
10-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Chances are that there is no difference, but the tactical barrel is obviously better because it is "tactical".

mattri
10-27-2012, 08:36 AM
The biggest difference is that you won't sound like an idiot for calling your barrel "tactical".

northlander
10-29-2012, 01:16 PM
With both Criterion and Shilen, the Varmint and Tactical would be the same contour. The most obvious difference I have seen is in the outer finish on the barrel. Due to the intended nature of a tactical barrel it will not be with a shiny finish. Savage offers the same contours on their Varmint and their FP (tactical) barrels. It is the dull black matte finish that makes the FP barrel a tactical.

Jim Briggs
NSS