PDA

View Full Version : Base ????????????

Pages : 1 [2]

pitsnipe
10-26-2012, 03:12 PM
Some excellent advice here. And, for that matter, great instruction as to how to determine the "center" of your scope and compensate with a canted bases. But, a couple "alarms" if you will went off for me:
1. The gap you have at the rear of the base isnt, unfortunatly, (from what I hear in a few of even the finer rifle names) that uncommon. I had @ .007 of a gap on my newer model 10. You can do what you have done and shim it with something like a piece of an alluminum can (thats what I did) or you could bed it with epoxy. Of course the epoxy would "stay" with the base, and as such, may not work on any other rifle until removed from the base.
2. But the bigger alarm is that you cant adjust (down enough I assume?) the scope for a 100 yard zero. Have you mentioned what the height your scope is from the barrel? As the farther away you get (outside lets say @3/16th's of an inch) the more adjustment you will need to make (in the scope, rings or base) to achieve that 100 yard zero. Perfect world is slide a piece of heavier paper between the scope objective bell and the barrel. Any more than that is excessive. But I have yet to see a scope that needed a canted base to get a 100 yard zero. Because when you have to go there, you wont have much, if any, more to go ANYWHERE.
Good luck!

parkj5
10-27-2012, 06:48 AM
I have bought some burris xtb bases 0 moa .the gun is heading back from smith from being cerakoted now ill let yall know if its the base or the action.Thanks for all the help by the way.This is my first custom build and its been one thing after the other.First miss fires,8 months to get barrel.trigger adjustments screws losing up.and the base issue.Ithink next time ill just buy one complete...