PDA

View Full Version : Axis / Edge Stock Reinforcement Made Easy - Take II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Willy
07-26-2013, 03:56 PM
No, I'm not using anything to work the air pockets. I put an extension on the end of the straw (4-5" long), so I can inject the foam right to the depth of the stock butt.

snipersyn
08-13-2013, 10:56 AM
I just completed this modification last night. Perhaps the most challenging part was starting the pilot holes for the steel dowels, but after using the excess length as the impromptu 'drill bit' the rest of the project was pretty straight forward. I was not able to acquire any of the epoxies used by other shooters in this thread. I would have liked to use the Devcon product. I ended up using the LePage Epoxy steel 8 minute set variation (which looked, smelt and handled like regular JB Weld cold weld epoxy). The epoxy was ready for sanding after an hour. After resetting the action back into the stock, I am pleasantly content with the results! The fore end is just solid now. The hollow knock is now a resounding thud when you do the 'knuckle knock' test. I shoot from a bipod as well and am anxious to test if accuracy has improved somewhat. I'm still on the fence on filling the stock with Great Stuff. But I wouldn't mind eliminating the hollow sound from it. Thanks all.

Willy
08-13-2013, 01:58 PM
As someone who filled the butt end with Great Stuff, I would recommend doing it. Add about a 5" tube on the end of the tube which comes with the can so you can easily reach into the deep end of the stock, and only fill several inches at a time so it can cure better. Helps to get rid of the cheap hollow sound, and just feels better. You may also add about 1/4 lb weight to the stock butt to offset the heavier forend.

snipersyn
08-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Alright, the OCD took hold of me again. I ended up doing the "Great Stuff" stock fill as well. 2 words: hella messy. The hollow sound is definitely more muted and knock test proves to be more solid this time around. No weight added though. So far, feels pretty good.

RkzShockwave
09-13-2013, 12:19 PM
Great post....ahhh another alteration! This looks like a good solution to the natural "flex" in the composite. Would this procedure affect aftermarket triggers? Just a thought...

Willy
09-14-2013, 07:08 AM
I put in four aftermarket triggers (Timney and Basix) in my Savage rifles and don't see how this would affect the triggers at all.

Willy
09-14-2013, 07:09 AM
Just so there's no confusion, that would be four triggers in four different rifles.

thermaler
09-14-2013, 07:50 AM
I cut my stock down a bit to shorten the pull somewhat--then put a pillar in the buttstock section which in turn is epoxied in--more or less the same thing I did to the foreend but bigger stuff. My 308 fires great--I could almost swear it actually dampens the recoil a bit. I'm not even sure I would want to switch to a wood stock now LOL. In fact, I think we need to vote on whether or not installing a wood stock on an Axis violates prime directive #2: "To further obsess over Axis primary characteristic of plastic stock lack of rigidity. It shall be required of Axis owner to pursue (and publish) whatever home remedy they can think of to modify said plastic stock so that gun shoots more accurately. The goal being not necessarily to improve the gun, but to indulge the owner's OCD need to fuss over the Axis in the hopes of making this a better world." : )

fgw_in_fla
09-14-2013, 07:58 AM
Uhhhh... Therm?
I got a headache reading that. For a moment I thought my lawyer was here.
By the way, which one of you guys did the stock grip reinforcement with a steel rod? In the interest of the continuing satisfaction of my addiction / OCD, I'd like to do the "shove a rod in the grip" thing.
Questions:
What did you use for a rod?
Approximate angle of drillage? (drillage?)
Was epoxy used?
Were you able to re-glue the emblem?
And last, Did it work?
Thanks.

PS - sometimes I think it would be easier to bolt the action / barrel to a 2x4....
Maybe make a modern version of the 'ol zip gun.

thermaler
09-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Uhhhh... Therm?
I got a headache reading that. For a moment I thought my lawyer was here.
By the way, which one of you guys did the stock grip reinforcement with a steel rod? In the interest of the continuing satisfaction of my addiction / OCD, I'd like to do the "shove a rod in the grip" thing.
Questions:
What did you use for a rod?
Approximate angle of drillage? (drillage?)
Was epoxy used?
Were you able to re-glue the emblem?
And last, Did it work?
Thanks.

PS - sometimes I think it would be easier to bolt the action / barrel to a 2x4....
Maybe make a modern version of the 'ol zip gun.That's my round about way of saying--messing with the Axis is half the fun of having 'em. : )

LoneWolf
09-14-2013, 02:39 PM
That's my round about way of saying--messing with the Axis is half the fun of having 'em. : )

+1 Especially when they turn out into highly capable budget rifles!

gunrack
12-08-2013, 08:33 PM
fgw_in_fla, great instruction and write up. I just completed this on my new 7mm08 and am quite pleased with the result. I would like to offer a tip for alternate for epoxy. I used bondo not the white filler version but the polyester resin. You get enough in a small bottle to complete at least two stocks and it flows very nice down over the rods and fills the voids easily without pushing it around with a popsicle stick. It has about a 12 minute working time and is cured hard in about 15 minutes but totally cured in a couple hours.

Thanks again for this great idea. I'm hooked on this stuff! My wife is complaining about the house being "smelled up" but she will get over it....

fgw_in_fla
12-08-2013, 08:50 PM
Glad to know it worked out for you. I'm sure you'll enjoy that econo-rifle like the rest of us addicts.

Any improvements anyone makes on the procedure, don't keep it to yourself. If there's an easier way, lets hear it. Besides replacing it with the new laminate stocks that are available.

And tell the wife what I tell mine when she complains about the smell. I tell her "if you think it's bad out there, you oughta come in here & take a whiff."
Be prepared to duck.
Or have an attorney on retainer.
Enjoy, happy shooting & Merry Christmas.
Frank in Fla

thomae
12-09-2013, 12:44 AM
By the way, which one of you guys did the stock grip reinforcement with a steel rod? (That was me, but I am sure others did it as well. ) In the interest of the continuing satisfaction of my addiction / OCD, I'd like to do the "shove a rod in the grip" thing.
Questions:
What did you use for a rod? I used 5/16" or 3/8" threaded rod that I just happened to have around the shop.
Approximate angle of drillage? (drillage?) I have no clue. Roughly parallel to the wrist.
Was epoxy used? Yes, JB weld on each end.
Were you able to re-glue the emblem? Yes. I was careful when I took it off.
And last, Did it work? Yes, as far as I can tell.
Thanks.

Maybe make a modern version of the 'ol zip gun.

And that's all I have to say about that!

fgw_in_fla
12-09-2013, 09:48 AM
I thought it was you. Just wasn't sure.
Since the time I asked that there's a few aftermarket stocks available. I'm considering breaking my vow of "keepin' it cheap" and trying one.
I hear a few of the guys ranting about them. I may have to re-learn how to shoot an Axis without the flex-O-matic stock.

While I'm on the subject - Anyone know what the average weight is on those laminate Axis stocks?

thermaler
12-09-2013, 10:27 AM
I thought it was you. Just wasn't sure.
Since the time I asked that there's a few aftermarket stocks available. I'm considering breaking my vow of "keepin' it cheap" and trying one.
I hear a few of the guys ranting about them. I may have to re-learn how to shoot an Axis without the flex-O-matic stock.

While I'm on the subject - Anyone know what the average weight is on those laminate Axis stocks?That's grounds for excommunication! Heretic!

fgw_in_fla
12-09-2013, 12:18 PM
I guess that is heresy. I should have know better.
I'd better beat feet to the nearest gun shop, run inside & kneel before the owner & say "bless me gunsmith for I have sinned".

I can already see the penance I might have to do....

"My son, I want you to go to the range & fire off 10 - 168gr rounds & 25 - 180gr rounds at 250yds with an Axis. It must be without modifications....."

cabinfever11
12-09-2013, 12:34 PM
also put in a Rifle Basix trigger - made a HUGE difference.

fgw_in_fla
12-09-2013, 12:52 PM
also put in a Rifle Basix trigger - made a HUGE difference.

I went with AccuTriggers in all of mine. Is that a no modification swap out?

cabinfever11
12-09-2013, 01:24 PM
The Rifle Basix is so darned easy and the directions were so good it was essentially a drop in and then adjust to your tastes. The only thing I've done to the trigger assy is put in a very thin washer to eliminate any slop in the housing. Very straightforward and it makes a hell of a difference. Now I don't have time for a nap waiting for the trigger to break.