PDA

View Full Version : Axis / Edge Stock Reinforcement Made Easy - Take II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12

Willy
07-05-2013, 08:51 PM
"A steel filled epoxy for filling and rebuilding all metal surfaces". Exact quote on the website for Rona for the Lepage epoxy.

Willy
07-08-2013, 02:36 PM
I found a foam insulation product called Daptex which is supposed to be water soluble, hence hopefully easy to use, unlike the one use only can of Great Stuff spray foam. I'm going to try filling in the stock butt with this Daptex and see how it turns out.

fgw_in_fla
07-08-2013, 08:47 PM
I found a foam insulation product called Daptex which is supposed to be water soluble, hence hopefully easy to use, unlike the one use only can of Great Stuff spray foam. I'm going to try filling in the stock butt with this Daptex and see how it turns out.

Just hope you never have to remove it for any reason like adding a little weight.
Remind me someday to tell you the story of a stock I filled with Liquid Nails & then decided to balance it a little better.....

Tack
07-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Hey, how bout you tell us that story of a stock you filled with Liquid Nails & decided to balance it a little better!!!

Willy
07-08-2013, 08:59 PM
I'm going to add a little weight to the stock (1/2 lb. ?) and then spray the Daptex foam insulation in.

fgw_in_fla
07-08-2013, 09:17 PM
Hey, how bout you tell us that story of a stock you filled with Liquid Nails & decided to balance it a little better!!!

You want I should tell you about Liquid Nail when used as a stock filler?
Ok, I'll tell you....

It doesn't HARDEN unless it has air....
I pulled the pad off 3 months later, cut the crusty end open & all of this gooey Liquid Nail came running out. I had a major mess to clean up & the buzz from the acetone I used had me on cloud 9 WITH a nasty headache.

There.
Now you know.
I was stoopid.
When in doubt, read the instructions.

You may laugh briefly.....

thermaler
07-09-2013, 02:23 AM
You want I should tell you about Liquid Nail when used as a stock filler?
Ok, I'll tell you....

It doesn't HARDEN unless it has air....
I pulled the pad off 3 months later, cut the crusty end open & all of this gooey Liquid Nail came running out. I had a major mess to clean up & the buzz from the acetone I used had me on cloud 9 WITH a nasty headache.

There.
Now you know.
I was stoopid.
When in doubt, read the instructions.

You may laugh briefly.....

+1 That IS funny : ) Lucky for you it doesn't catch fire--you might have been the first shooter in history to go down with an ASE--accidental stock explosion.

PS--I've done worse--and it wasn't funny either.

fgw_in_fla
07-09-2013, 03:39 AM
Ya know therm, it's always the a good idea at the time. After the disaster, ya just gotta laugh.

Then, look for the number to the insurance company....

Willy
07-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Aha....I finally found some Devcon epoxy in Canada at Acklands Granger, quite pricey, almost $12 for 25 ml. It wasn't in the same package shown in the photos at the beginning of this thread, but it's a clear liquid in the 2 in 1 dispenser. Hope to try it soon to see if the mixture is thinner and flows better than the JB Weld. Will keep you posted.

fgw_in_fla
07-13-2013, 02:33 PM
Hey Willy - If you're filling the voids, nooks & crannies in the grip area of the stock, have a piece of wire or paper clip handy to help work the air bubbles out. It makes it go a little quicker....

Willy
07-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Okay, got to the point where I want to add some weight to the butt end of the stock to counterbalance the additional weight of the front of the stock. When you guys spray in some Great Stuff foam into the butt end of the stock do you put anything like a small balled up rag into the stock first or do you just let the foam go as far as it can into the stock. I think what I'm seeing when I look into the butt (this just doesn't sound right!!), okay, when I look into the stock butt, (any better??), is the block for the rear trigger guard screw, should be nothing more than that, right?

Willy
07-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Oh, another thing; is there a danger the spray foam will force out the sides of the stock??

LoneWolf
07-17-2013, 06:16 PM
Personally I used bonds body filler to fill in my stock because it takes the shape of whatever you put it in and can be sanded or drilled into later if you wanted to add weight or anything else. I thought it worked out great.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

fgw_in_fla
07-17-2013, 06:56 PM
I'd be careful & use less than what is needed. The regular expanding stuff can wreak havoc when it expands. the minimum expanding stuff is a little more forgiving.

You can always add more if the first application isn't enough. If you use too much & it causes the stock to split or bulge, you're up the creek.....
I've used the expanding foam many times on the job & had it bulge drywall & even push a door frame out of plumb.

Willy
07-18-2013, 02:49 PM
BTW, does anyone do the stock forend reinforcing with the regular Savage rifles or is this just done to the Savage Axis/Edge "Flex-o-Matic" stocks?

thermaler
07-18-2013, 04:50 PM
Okay, got to the point where I want to add some weight to the butt end of the stock to counterbalance the additional weight of the front of the stock. When you guys spray in some Great Stuff foam into the butt end of the stock do you put anything like a small balled up rag into the stock first or do you just let the foam go as far as it can into the stock. I think what I'm seeing when I look into the butt (this just doesn't sound right!!), okay, when I look into the stock butt, (any better??), is the block for the rear trigger guard screw, should be nothing more than that, right?
I wouldn't go overboard with the weight thing because the trigger area is the real achilles heel of the whole shootin match--put enough weight at both ends and it could make the flexible flyer even worse. I have a plastic stock that came with my 111 (which I replaced with a a hogue overmolded full pillar stock) and it is much stiffer than the axis fleximatic though not an accustock.

fgw_in_fla
07-18-2013, 05:23 PM
BTW, does anyone do the stock forend reinforcing with the regular Savage rifles or is this just done to the Savage Axis/Edge "Flex-o-Matic" stocks?

I use a bipod 99% of the time so I did it to all my Savage factory stocks. Axis & 110.

It does little for the twisting of the stock but will help with bipod use or resting the rifle on a tree stump, etc...

Willy
07-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Okay, reinforced the stock forend in the 270 Win. in Savage 111 today, using Devcon, (and a "U" rail), and it flows much better than the JB Weld. Definitely prefer the Devcon over the JB Weld. Unfortunately didn't have enough Devcon so I had to finish the job with JB. Also picked up the Great Stuff spray foam for windows and doors (which is not supposed to expand as much as the regular stuff) so next week I hope to use that on the stock butt and I'll let you know how that turns out.

Willy
07-26-2013, 08:53 AM
Trying to spray Great Stuff (Windows & Doors) into the gun stock butt cavities but I'm ending up with large cavities in the foam inside the stock for some reason. I'm trying to spray in layers as the stock cavities are about 10/11" deep. I used either threaded rod or rebar in the stock for a bit of additional weight to counter balance the forends. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong re the foam insulation?

fgw_in_fla
07-26-2013, 09:16 AM
With the stickiness of the foam I would expect it to be a little difficult to pack in a confined area - like in the stock.
Are you using a piece of wooden dowel or rod to kind of "jook" it in & work out the air pockets? And of course, you're using the long straw / tube that comes with the can of foam......

As it expands, is it filling in the voids or does it not expand that much?