PDA

View Full Version : Axis / Edge Stock Reinforcement Made Easy - Take II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12

justinc68
06-26-2013, 09:10 AM
Frank,

Me and a friend of mine just redid his stock following your procedures. It worked really well and seems to really help the stock.
I noticed in some of the comments that you counter weighted the stock of your rifle. Do you think this is necessary on a .223 with a factory barrel? If so do you just take the butt pad off and epoxy some weight into the back of the stock?

any info is much appreciated.

Thanks.

fgw_in_fla
06-26-2013, 10:07 AM
I'm glad to know it worked out for you. As far as counter weight, I had to use some additional weight for the fat truck axle barrel(s) I used. if you're using a sporter type barrel, I wouldn't worry much about it.

If you do need or want additional weight, pop off the butt pad - carefully - & get creative. I have sheet lead on hand and I found door hinges epoxied in place with Styrofoam to help insulate works good.
Good luck with your shooting.

justinc68
06-26-2013, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the info. I assumed the counter weight was for the large barrel. I just wanted to make sure.
And thanks for your step by step guide. it was very easy to follow.

fgw_in_fla
06-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the info. I assumed the counter weight was for the large barrel. I just wanted to make sure.
And thanks for your step by step guide. it was very easy to follow.

Yep.... the part about wallowing out the forend & counter weights was if you have a fat barrel. When you get tired of the sporter barrel I recommend watching the classifieds here & pick yourself up a nice SS flutie or Black Tactical.
Definitely makes a $275 rifle into a shooter.

Then, you too can smirk at the guys with $1200 Rems....
Have fun!

justinc68
06-26-2013, 03:30 PM
Haha yeah.

I have a 6.5 creedmoor that i built (with alot of help from a friend) from a .223 savage. It has a criterion barrel, sharp shooter supply trigger, and i put it on a bell and carlson stock. its by far my favorite.

im working on a 6mm BR as my next build. its quite addicting.

thermaler
06-26-2013, 04:02 PM
On my axis rifles I take the buttpad off--usually breaking the tab because it's a POS anyway and don't intend on "reopening" the stock. I do a similar treatment to the stock as the fore-end--I put a stiffening rod as far up to the wrist area as I can get it and then epoxy the rod at either end and fill the stock with a dense fire-retardant foam. My aim, so to speak, is not so much to reduce recoil as it is to reduce up and down flex in the stock when doing a cheekweld in aiming since the wrist area is really the worst offender in the overall stock flex zones.

Tack
06-26-2013, 04:39 PM
I ended up filling all the holes around the action with epoxy and then drilled up through the pistol grip out into the action area and the jb welded a bent piece of threaded rod from there down to the bottom of the grip. I think it made a bit of difference. Has eliminated a bit of the flex. But I'm starting to think that the old saying "You can't make strawberry jam out of pig s#!+" is quite true in this situation. Still, it's a great light little shooter. And I love playing with things.
Tack

thermaler
06-26-2013, 05:32 PM
With my homebrew loads my modded axis 308 is now a joy to shoot and can do sub .5 MOA. It has a very nice balance and is easily handled and bring to bear on target with a sweet and simple 4 x 12 Leopold riflemen scope atop

Willy
07-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Just doing my Edge stocks and some pointers:

Don't bother trying to go further with 1/4" rod than the front swivel post as there isn't room between the swivel post and side of the stock. (I can't even get 7/32" rod in that space so now I'll just have to make a short piece for the space between the swivel post and the front of the stock.)

Don't push that top square tang (for removing the butt piece) down more than 1/8". If you do, it will likely break....

Edge Tupperware stocks are a bit different from the regular 11/111 Tupperware stocks.

And now a question for the pros who have done this before. Would it be advisable to fill in the stock cavities that are around the pillar and recoil lug?

fgw_in_fla
07-03-2013, 09:06 PM
Congrats...
You've learned what the rest of us have using the trial by fire method.

I filled the voids on one of mine but I couldn't tell you if it helped. Have a go at it & let us know.

Willy
07-03-2013, 10:58 PM
I'll fill mine in ....someday.....not now....because....more lessons learned:

JB Weld 6 minute epoxy set time is no thinner than JB Weld 4 hour set time. I tell you, you don't have to worry about the stock being level, that epoxy is so thick it aint goin' anywhere! I have to find Devcon somewhere in Canada! Hope it's thinner, then I can use that to fill small voids. And yes, I'm enjoying this! But I gotta find thinner epoxy.....somewhere....

I didn't make any big boo boos but next time gotta remember to put painter's tape on the side of the stock and the top edge.

fgw_in_fla
07-03-2013, 11:21 PM
Acetone & a rag takes the goop off if you catch it as soon as you're finished pouring it. Send me your address. I have a sample of what might help a bit. As soon as I find my way back into my laboratory I'll get the name for ya.

Have a safe Independence day or whatever it's called in Canada.

Willy
07-04-2013, 08:37 AM
fgw, are you sure you want to ship something all the way to Canada? If you're in Florida, I'm guessing about 2500 miles north. Incidentally, we're having a bit of a scorcher right now, was about 90 degrees yesterday, near Winnipeg Manitoba.

fgw_in_fla
07-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Scorcher? What's that?
Are describing a spring day in Florida?

Besides, how much could it cost to ship a 3 - 4 oz. package up there? It's only money, of which I haven't much but what the heck.....
You can PM that info to me if you so desire....
Stay well.

Willy
07-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Ok, I'll do that; BTW, has anyone here tried Permatex? I'll PM you tomorrow as right now I'm getting late to take my wife to the airport.

fgw_in_fla
07-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Roger.
Drive safely.

deaddeerwalking
07-05-2013, 04:28 PM
New to the site & did this mod to my .243. stiffened it up pretty nice ! Thanks for the great write-up !!
-John

Willy
07-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Has anyone tried, or is anyone here familiar with the Permaoxy from Permatex? It's a five minute set and has a syringe to put the epoxy in small cavities. I am about to go and try it. Lepage has an epoxy that's described as "steel filled". Anyone familiar with that?

fgw: Next time I go to Home Depot etc. I'm going to look for the Loctite epoxy.

fgw_in_fla
07-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Don't look too hard. You have one kit on the way tomorrow morning.....

And I never heard of Lepage steel filled. Kinda sounds French....

Willy
07-05-2013, 08:46 PM
lol (the french thing)